cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Point DHCP lease time - best practice?

shamg1974
Level 1
Level 1

We currently run DHCP on each of our site cores for our site vlans. In particular, we have our access point management subnet setup with a lease time of 12 hours. I'm wondering if there is a best practice for this? Seems to me that the AP's would want to keep the IP as long as possible. Any harm in changing it to the max of 30 days?

Thanks,

Shameer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Typically default is like 8 days. I would extend it rather than lowering it especially for AP’s. A good example if a switch goes down or site looses power. I would like the aps to keep the IP address for at least a week. I have just seen issues with low lease times.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Typically default is like 8 days. I would extend it rather than lowering it especially for AP’s. A good example if a switch goes down or site looses power. I would like the aps to keep the IP address for at least a week. I have just seen issues with low lease times.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Agree with Scott. We use Infoblox as DHCP server & leave it for default 8 days :)

I do not see any issue of increasing it further...

Rasika

mkazam001
Level 3
Level 3

The DHCP client renews its IP configuration data prior to the expiration of the lease time. If the lease period expires and the DHCP client has not yet renewed its IP configuration data, then the DHCP client loses the IP configuration data and begins the DHCP lease generation process again.

Regards

Azam

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card