Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1140 can't see second SSID on apple devices

jejarosz929
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have an Aironet 1140, it has been running without problem for some time with a single SSID. I recently added a second SSID and both can be seen and used by PC's, however the second SSID cannot be seen by apple devices. I've tried iphones, ipads, etc, and it's not showing up in the available wifi lists. 

Any thoughts on what might be causing that and how to fix it so both can be seen?

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The one thing that jumps out is that you are using two types of encryption. 

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip

You should only use one, so use aes-ccm and remove tkip.  On your PC's, make sure that your encryption is using WPA2-Personal.  That should fix your issue. If your Windows device fails to join, delete the profile and create it again  since you have two types configured, some devices may of joined using WPA-Personal which will not work after you remove tkip.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

Thanks Scott, I've been using the GUI to setup,do you know where in the GUI that is set? I just looked at the encryption manager under security and it doesn't give the option to set encryption by ssid.

I should also add that the one that I have in that config file called firstssid (name changed from actual) works on both pc's and mac. Only the second doesn't work. 

Also, for the first and second ssid, pc's connect fine and can see both ssid's, its the apple devices that can't see the second ssid only. 

Here a link to the GUI configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/116599-config-wpa-psk-00.html#anc5

-Scott 

-Scott

If you want to broadcast multiple ssid, you need to enter the following:

Mbssid Guest-mode

See this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/service-set-identifier-ssid/116118-configure-ap-ssid-ios.html

Either cosole, telnet or ssh to the AP.  CLI is the best way to configure these AP's, the GUI is problematic.

-Scott 

-Scott

I was just about to ask if it has something to do with this. 

What's interesting is that both show up for PC's but not apple devices, even with the settings the way they are.

If you want to broadcast more than one said, you need to use mbssid guest mode or else you will only be broadcasting one. Why does your APAC see the second ssid and the Apple devices don't, try to delete the second ssid from the APAC and then see if it sees the ssid.  Have you tried setting the configuration as in the documentation?  

-Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card