cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 350 AP and Apple Airport clients

mattransfer
Level 1
Level 1

Is it poosible for apple airport clients to connect to a 350 AP running LEAP and with full encryption?

7 Replies 7

bmcmurdo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Apple has licenced and implemented LEAP on their NICs (not on their APs). So an Apple client can use LEAP to communicate with a Cisco AP running LEAP. You mayhave to upgrade your client for this functionality. Check out this URL from Apple for more info;

http://www.apple.com/airport/faq/

Be advised with the Apple Airport NICs I have found you need to disable MIC and TKIP on the APs to interoperate (v11.21).

rsaeks
Level 1
Level 1

We are using an Aeronet 350 AP with WEP. The best way that we found to get this to work is to download generic drivers from orinoco, and install those on the machines. They let yoru store the WEP key, and select which one to transmit with. We currently have this working on about 30 machines here.

Hopefully this helps out.

ringman
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get LEAP to work. I'm running LEAP and have had a recent request to get an apple airport client up and running. All I seem to get is an error connecting to the wireless network. Any info you have would be great, as I'm not finding much info... so either this is really easy and I'm missing something, or it is a pain.

Thanks

As previously mentioned make sure you have the latest Apple SW/firmware for the NIC cards. And make sure you disable TKIP and MIC (i.e., no Cisco extensions enabled on the AP) when using LEAP. Given the insecurity of WEP without TKIP and MIC I'd recommend upgrading to WPA EAP.

ringman
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get LEAP to work. I'm running LEAP and have had a recent request to get an apple airport client up and running. All I seem to get is an error connecting to the wireless network. Any info you have would be great, as I'm not finding much info... so either this is really easy and I'm missing something, or it is a pain.

Thanks

We have LEAP running in our office, which has a mixed environment of Mac OS X and Windows 2000, XP, and XP Pro.

The key to making LEAP work properly is to setup the SSID as follows:

Authentication Methods Accepted:

Open Authentication: with EAP

Network eap: NO ADDITION

You can use the Cipher to set encryption.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card