Views
Helpful
Replies

Alert on Cisco Prime Infrastructure When Access Point Down

fdharmawan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Is there any way to monitor when Access Point using Prime Infrastructure? I want to monitor if the AP goes down or one of the radio is not operational.

My Prime Infrastructure version is 3.3 and my WLC version is 8.5.140. I already set SNMP on WLC, SMTP on PI, and AP monitored on PI. But when it goes down, nothing sent via email.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong page. Any advise?

Thanks.

12 Replies 12

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the WLC is already managed by Prime then the APs will be getting monitored by the Prime under the alarms.

To configure Prime to send you an email when this happens:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-0/administrator/guide/PIAdminBook/config_server_settings.html#63370

By default PI will classify AP disassociation and radios down as Critical Alarms, but you can select what category gets emailed and manipulate what is a critical alarm

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-0/user/guide/pi_ug/alarms.html#60100

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Haydn,

I already set the SMTP and sent the test email. It was working fine. And I also got WLC monitored on my PI.

I also set the alarm on Alarm Notification Policy for radio and ethernet down, but so far no luck.

Are you getting any alarms via email at all?
*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Hi Haydn,

Nope, not at all. That what makes me wonder what is wrong with my configuration. What am I missing.

Just confirming you are seeing the alarms inside Prime? Just not getting the emails

I'm seeing the alarms on the dashboard but I got no email notifications

Delete your notification configuration and make a new one. I had that issue also once in the past (after a PI upgrade) and had to delete the whole Alarm Notification Policy.

Hi Patoberli,

Unfortunately it did not work for me

Ok. Unless you made any important modifications, go to System Settings -> Alarms and Event -> Alarm Severity and Autio Clear, search for ' disassociated' and make sure that under AP the 'AP disassociated from controller' is set to Critical.

Next go to the Alarm Notification Policies. Here you should already have your new configured one.

Select it and hit the edit button. Make sure 'All Critical' is enabled under Conditions. Next go to Device Groups and select everything here. Under Destination select your contact destination. Lastly click on Save at the bottom and it should work (if your contact group (also named Notification Destination, is reachable).

The contact destination is also configured in the system settings, in the tab Notification Destination.

Same here.....I see notifications in Dashboard but no e-mails.  Any updates on this?

I run PI 3.5 with no issues sending email notifications when an ap or radio goes down. Make sure your email test works, then make sure you define your alerting. I use custom groups so that any test/lab/non-prod AP’s don’t send alerts/email.
-Scott

Running PI 3.7 here, also no issues with notifications.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card