Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 2800 not getting an IP address from the Primary controller name

ohareka70
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have a wireless AP 2800 which is not getting an IP address from the Primary controller name and IP

All my other APs are working ok to the same controller namely 10.4.3.11

Incidently its stuck on a green light even after a reboot 

I can ping the 10.4.3.11 address from the device ok 

AP Name : AP-01
Admin State : Enabled
AP Mode : FlexConnect
AP Submode : None
Reboot Reason : Controller Reload command
Primary controller name :
Primary controller IP : 0.0.0.0
Controller from DHCP offer : 10.224.3.11
AP join priority : 1

Thanks Kevin

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Thanks,

As mentioned by other users in the forum, you will need to console on to the AP, reload it and capture the logs for us. I'm sure the info generated from the logs will be enough for us to help you out.

View solution in original post

Got it sorted 

The AP was pointing to the secondary controller and not the primary controller.  Once i changed the AP on the secondary WLC to point back to the Primary WLC it was fine.  Cisco tech did check the logs first on the remote controller before deciding to check the entry on the secondary WLC

Thanks to everyone on this page for advice - it all helped

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Jurgens L
Level 3
Level 3

Console on to the AP and add the following:

capwap ap controller-name controller-ip-address

If the AP still don’t’ want to join the WLC, run a capwap event debug so we can get more information.

<<< Please help the community by marking useful posts helpful, or accept as a solution if it resolved your issue >>>

It wont take the command

capwap ap NIW-WLC-W 10.4.3.11

any ideas

Can you do a show version on the AP?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Your best bet is to console into the AP. You are also saying that all your other AP 2800’s at the same location is working fine except for one? The wlc is the dhcp server for all your FlexConnect aps?
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Other sites are working ok but not this site.  Both APs at this site are doing the same thing

You should of stages the aps prior. Did you setup option 43 or DNS so that the AP can find the WLC. You know that has to be done first.
-Scott

Yes - i have that in place and it works for other sites but not this one.  I can ping it ok

ip dhcp pool Wireless_APs
 network 10.3.16.128 255.255.255.128
 default-router 10.3.16.129
 dns-server 10.8.4.5
 option 43 hex f104.0ae0.030b

Then you need to have console to see what is going on. You will not fix this remotely.
-Scott

your heading is little confusing, do you mean the AP is not able to join primary controller or AP is not even getting an IP address ?

based on the switch config as DHCP, if you do show ip dhcp binding, you can check if the AP has got an IP to start with.

As mentioned by everyone, AP console output will be helpful.

-hope this helps-

the AP is not able to join primary controller

the AP is getting an IP address ok and i can ping the AP across the network and login to it

sh ver

cisco AIR-AP2802I-E-K9
AP Running Image     : 8.3.102.0
Primary Boot Image   : 8.3.102.0
Backup Boot Image    : 8.2.151.0
2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
2 802.11 Radios
Radio Driver version : 9.0.5.5-W8964
Radio FW version : 9.1.8.1

Thanks,

As mentioned by other users in the forum, you will need to console on to the AP, reload it and capture the logs for us. I'm sure the info generated from the logs will be enough for us to help you out.

I have rebooted it and here is the logs from it booted up

Its trying to join the backup controller on 10.224.3.11 which is not right

AP has joined controller NIW-WLC-BRET

It should be 10.224.2.13 and NIW-WLC-BRET

Got it sorted 

The AP was pointing to the secondary controller and not the primary controller.  Once i changed the AP on the secondary WLC to point back to the Primary WLC it was fine.  Cisco tech did check the logs first on the remote controller before deciding to check the entry on the secondary WLC

Thanks to everyone on this page for advice - it all helped

Well if you can login to the AP remote, type the following in this guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/wave2-ap/command-reference/8-8/b-cisco-wave2-ap-cr-88/capwap_commands.html#wp3069371568
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card