Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Impersonation of MAC

Occasionally WCS will throw the following error:

AP Impersonation of MAC 'Redacted' using source MAC  'Redacted' is detected by authenticated AP 'Redacted' on  '802.11b/g' radio and Slot ID '0'.

We are running version 7.0.172.0  and the only thing I can find about this error indicated that I should check the controller. When I look on the controller I do not see the error in the syslog. Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this error?

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Generally, this error indicates the WLC is detecting a device that is spoofing a known MAC address.  take a look at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6305/products_tech_note09186a00806f070a.shtml#APIMP

This is a bit older, but gives some informatio on the error.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I checked the APs primary controller and did not see the error indicated anywhere in the logs. I even checked the secondary and tertiary controllers to no avail.

Ive chased this same error and I am 99.9% certain this is a bug, just my 2 cents. I know there is no way I have another device taking the MAC of one of my APs. Even after hours of L2 captures, nothing ...

I opened a TAC last year and got the anwser Steve gave you.. I dont buy Cisco kool-aid on that one...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I think it might be a bug as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card