Views
Helpful
Replies

AP monitor mode

TuralLachinov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have one question, I have wireless network with 45 APs, and I want to add some APs to use them in sniffer or monitor mode,

would you please recommend, how many APs I need to sniff al the wireless network by design?

Thanks in advance

BR

Tural L

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

General rule of tumb is for every 6 access points add 1 monitor.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thank you very much George,

Do you have any documentation on this please ?

BR

Tural L

I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to find the document that I read that suggest 1/6 deployment for monitor aps. But unfortunately I am having little luck finding it.

I did however, blog about this subject and conducted testing myself.

http://www.my80211.com/home/2010/1/9/why-you-should-consider-monitor-access-points-as-part-of-you.html

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Thank you very much George,

It was great info, I would like to ask you to share your experience with me if have any additional info

Thanks in advance

BR

Tural

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card