cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP registered in remote branch

akram.root
Level 4
Level 4

I have WLC 5520 ,  i need to put the AP in remote branch , and it should registered to the 5520 WLC at H.Q over WAN .

is it work , and is there any special configurations needed to get this work , without using flexconnect mode ?

Best regards

Akram 

9 Replies 9

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

it will connect .

Local mode is not recommaned as traffic will be travering vai WAN link. So i would suggest to use flexconnect mode.

There are few method to join AP to WLC:

1. Option 43

2. DNS

3. etc...

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thank you for your answer , i can use the local mode in my scenario or it is impossible ? 

Best reagrds

Akram 

how far is your branch location from HQ ?

You can but i would not recommand as the connectivity will be very slow in local mode. Best would be to use Flexconnect mode.

Regards

how far is your branch location from HQ ?

about 500 KM .

Best regrads

Akram 

Then i would not suggest to use local mode. 

Use Flexconnect mode

or install a small WLC (3504) if you want to use only local mode.

Regards

Check the office extend feature (OEAP), that might work for you. Most APs support that today.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-3/config-guide/b_cg83/b_cg83_chapter_0110000.html

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Just to add, there is no reason to keep this remote ap in local mode when you have the opportunity to use flex connect and place traffic local. This is the best design for you unless you have a flat network at the remote site and don’t want to re-design that. Local mode would work, but like others stated, not suggested. I guess it depends on what user experience you are looking for as your WAN will be the key.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thank you for your informations , but our customer consist to deploy this scenario in local mode .

he would like all traffic be in centralised mode

Best regards

Akram 

If that is the final answer, then yes it will work, how well it will work, you will not know until you deploy it.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card