Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: One Management with Prime Infrastructure 1.2

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Tejas Shah

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions from Cisco expert Tejas Shah on One Management with Prime Infrastructure 1.2 Combining the wireless functionality of Cisco Prime Network Control System (NCS) with the wired functionality of Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution (LMS),  Cisco Prime Infrastructure simplifies and automates many of the day-to-day tasks associated with maintaining and managing the end-to-end network infrastructure from a single pane of glass. The new converged solution delivers all of the existing wireless capabilities for RF management, user access visibility, reporting, and troubleshooting along with wired lifecycle functions such as discovery, inventory, configuration and image management, automated deployment, compliance reporting, integrated best practices, and reporting.

Tejas Shah is a senior technical marketing engineer for Cisco Prime Infrastructure and Collaboration products. He has deployed Cisco Prime Collaboration Manager at various customer sites to help customers monitor and troubleshoot their video infrastructure. In addition, he is part of the Network Operations Center team at Cisco Live events for six years. Shah joined Cisco in 1995 and was in the Technical Assistance Center team supporting various network management system products for more than six years.

Remember to use the rating system to let Tejas know if you have received an adequate response. 

Tejas might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Wireless Mobility sub-community discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through Sept 21, 2012. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

35 Replies 35

Tejas,

Thank you for replying.  Let me ask you this then;  If I move from NCS to Cisco Prime Infrastructure, what licensing would I need to purchase to up the number of AP devices I support in NCS, is this the same licensing I would use from LMS?  I think I saw where this would be the life cycle license correct?   Can I buy a LIfe Cycle License pack of 500 and have both NCS and LMS use this license? 

Thank you

When upgrading from LMS 3.2 to PI 1.2 (R-PI12-UP-K9 skus), customers will get the following software:

* Prime Infrastructure 1.2

* LMS 4.2

They will also get the following licenses:

* Prime Infrastructure 1.2 Base

* Prime Infrastructure 1.2 Lifecycle for N number of devices they had with LMS 3.2

* LMS 4.2 for N number of devices they had with LMS 3.2

They are entitled to install and use both software and licenses.  They should be on separate servers or VMs.

They can also add additional licenses for more Lifecycle (via R-PI12-K9 skus), which can be used for both Prime Infrastructure and LMS.

Additionally, they can use the same R-PI12-K9 skus to add Assurance and Automated Deployment Gateway skus to be used for Prime Infrastructure.  These will not work on LMS.

Hope this helps clarify a bit..

Tejas

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tejas,

I would like to follow up on my earlier query concerning Energywise. Is this supported by Prime?

Thanks

Hello Sean,

Thanks for posting your Q.

When you get PI 1.2, you do get LMS 4.x with it, so you can use that to manage Energywise

Prime Infrastructure (PI) 1.1 consisted of LMS 4.1 and NCS 1.1.   In that bundle, Energywise was supported via LMS.  With Prime Infrastructure 1.2, we are now merging the two products into one and more (assurance piece).  You can check out the Data Sheet (

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/data_sheet_c78-715144.html)

where we talk about what goes into various components of PI 1.2.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further clarification..

Tejas

M. Wisely
Level 4
Level 4

Tejas,

Is there a way to migrate data from both NCS and LMS?

Thanks

Hello Martin,

Yes, there is way to migrate 100% of NCS data today, but partial migration is available for LMS.   This has to do with what version if LMS you have and what features you use in LMS.   Future version of PI will have more migration coverage.  You can check out the Transition White Paper at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/app_note_c27-716266.html

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Tejas

rdvorak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

my customer has LMS 3.2 installed and everything is working great - the only problem is that we don't see our access points (i.e. LAP1231) on the map.

How could we discover this devices or this not supported.

Thanks

tshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi There..

when you upgrade from LMS 3.x to Prime Infrastructure 1.2, you do get LMS 4.2 in the bundle.  LMS 4.2 does support this AP.  You can see all the supported devices for LMS 4.2 at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.2/device_support/table/lms42sdt.html

Prime Infrastructure 1.2, also supports this AP natively as it did in NCS.

let me know if you have any additional quesitons,

Tejas

pica
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Tejas,

I'am a little bit confused. We have an NCS 1.1. with Licences for 1975 devices.

1 - If we upgrade to PI 1.2, do we need new licences?

2 - Do we need them also, if we perform a migration update as mentioned in the quick start guide.

Best Regards,

Michael

tshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Michael,

If you do a Standard upgrade, you do not need a new license, but if you do the migration (installing a new VM), you will need a new license.  Prime Infrastructure licenses are node-locked.   I'm assuming you were talking about this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/1.2/quickstart/guide/cpi_qsg.html#wp56675

Hope this helps,

Tejas

Hello Tejas,

thank you for your answer. But i'am sorry, i need a little bit more clarification.

We would like to do a standard upgrade, because we want to switch to a larger ova. Do we need to upgrade our licences to the new "Minor Release Upgrade Part Numbers for Existing Cisco Prime NCS 1.0 Customers", or is it sufficient
that we bind the old ncs licences to a new node?

Best Regards,

Michael

tshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No worries Michael,

Let me clarify this a bit..

Standard Upgrade is same as Inline Upgrade.  No new .ova (VM Image) is needed, and all the data/licenses are retained.

Migration: includes backing from the old VM --> Installing a "new" .ova --> Restore the config.   With this approach, the .ova changes and so does the UID, which forces you to issue a new license based on the VUID of the server.   Please note that no new purchase is needed, just issuing of new license is needed.

Let me know if this helps..

Tejas

Hello Tejas,

now i get it. Thanks a lot, that was very helpful.

Best Regards, Michael

m.yost
Level 1
Level 1

What should we expect as far as PI talking to Unified Communication servers?  Specifically CallManager and Unity Connections?  I added CallManager and Unity Connections to my PI v1.2 box and the Collection Status says "Managed with Warnings".  Digging deeper it says:

Collection Status : Failed feature(s)

feature_cdpSNMP request timed out
feature_l2interfaceSNMP request timed out

Also under the Config Archive section, it says "Fetch running configuration - No device package found for the specified device" or it says "Fetch running configuration - Unknown error".

My guess is that the support hasn't been fully added yet but I wanted to see if you could confirm what people should expect in regards to UC stuff.

tshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good Q.

Prime Infrastructure 1.2 doesn't support Call Manager.   I think you may have added it with your SNMP credentials. 

Prime Infrastructure 1.2 will treat this as a unsupported device, as its not supported.  You can check out supported devices for Prime Infrastructure 1.2 at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps12239/products_device_support_tables_list.html.

I have confirmed the same exact behavior with CUCM in our lab as well.

On a side note, you could use something like UC Suite of products as mentioned in

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps5747/Products_Sub_Category_Home.html

Hope this helps,

Tejas

kerim mohammed
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Tajesh,

i was trying to upgrade remotely via standard backup and recovery from LMS3.2 on windows to LMS4.2 on vmware(soft appliance). however, when i do the rstore on the soft appliance, i see the following error (screen shot attached.)

ERROR: can't locate CRM.pm in @INC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: