Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth shaping rules for Ciso Meraki WAPs

chamira dil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

First of all, I would like to thank u all in advanced.

I have a couple of Meraki Wireless Access Points installed at my office. And I want to add some specific rules as below. First I want to know whether it is possible for me to add rules as I desire. And then I would like to know how to do so.

• I want to shape (reduce) the speed for Socal Media apps/sites (E.g. Facebook) whenever a user exceeds allocated maximum download limit (per month) on those applications, for only that particular user.

E.g. If the user Bob has consumed 500mb on Facebook his bandwidth should be limited to 5mbps for the month of May. After the month of May, he should get a fresh unthrottled bandwidth to use Facebook up to the maximum data cap of 500mb. And other users who have not exceeded the data limit should not be affected.

• After 1800 hours (6.00pm) to 0830 hours (08.30 am) the data usage should not be counted and the bandwidth should not be throttled.

E.g. Even Bob should be able to get the full bandwidth to browse Facebook from 1800 hours to 0830 hours.

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We have some deployments for QoS, not for time based,

but below guide should able to help to tweak as per your requirement.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Group_Policies_and_Blacklisting/Creating_and_Applying_Group_Policies

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. In your link, I learned how to apply policies according to a schedule.

And I still want to know whether it is possible to limit bandwidth after a certain download limit is reached by a user.

I have not tried as per the document it can be done(until some one tested and coments)

in the Traffic shasin i can see per client bandwidth limit with policies (is this what you looking ?)

BB

Yeah but is it possible to throttle the clients' bandwidth after he reaches a said limit?
Like reduce bandwidth to 5mbps after he reaches a limit of 500mb

Honestly i have not tested that feature. should be possible in normal enterprise network AP / WLC other supporting environment.

not sure meraki side, so wait for other collegues to comment, who had done this testing.

BB

Meraki only support bandwidth shaping and not features such as shaping users after they consumed X amount of MB.

I've doubled checked as on the Meraki Dashboard under the MX64 and the MR33, both their bandwidth shaping features don't support your request.

Find reference below of what you can configure.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Traffic_and_Bandwidth_Shaping

<<< Please help the community by marking useful posts helpful, or accept as a solution if it resolved your issue >>>

Meraki does not support this type of shaping once a user reaches a limit of a particular type of traffic.

For this you would need to look at another solution, more than likely a proxy server (on prem or cloud based).

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: