Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we add APs to the WLC through CLI?

Darren.lin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, 

Just wondering, if it is possible to add APs by MAC through the WLC cli? This will save me lots of time on typing names when they show up on Web GUI. 

Thanks,

Darren

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Darren,

To be honest the GUI is really the easiest  way.  trust me..  I know its time consuming !!  I will usually change the names via the GUI and then use Cisco Prime templates to change other setting on the AP, like locations and WIPS,

View solution in original post

Darren,

Yes it is called PNP (plug and play). You can do everything from APIC. Allows you to plan your deployment ap, names, etc and pushes down to AP when it connects. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/8-2/b_APIC-EM-PNP-deployment-guide.html 

HTH

www.my80211.com - Blog by a WiFi engineer for WiFi engineers

www.wifitraining.com/about-wifi/ - WiFi Training by hands on WiFi Engineers and Experts 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

WiFi Trainers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Darren,

Can you please clarify this? I did not understand what you mean by adding AP's through the WLC CLI.

Best Regards,

WiFi Trainers (www.wifitrainers.com)

Your one stop solution for all your wireless training needs!

******** Please rate if useful *********

thanks for your reply...

Normally, we will add AP onto WLC when it shows up on WebGUI, then we will assign each AP a unique name. This will take a lot of time. 

So, I am wondering if we can add APs to WLC through CLI or any other way, and then assign them names. Thanks

Darren,

Yes it is called PNP (plug and play). You can do everything from APIC. Allows you to plan your deployment ap, names, etc and pushes down to AP when it connects. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/8-2/b_APIC-EM-PNP-deployment-guide.html 

HTH

www.my80211.com - Blog by a WiFi engineer for WiFi engineers

www.wifitraining.com/about-wifi/ - WiFi Training by hands on WiFi Engineers and Experts 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Since 2014, we've been using this system my colleagues have built.  The system uses an SQL DB to store all the information collected. 

The start of this provisioning system is the serial number of the AP.  The system polls all the controllers and matches the AP serial number.  The system then renames the AP to our choosing, puts the location, configures the Primary WLC details and then puts the AP into the correct AP Group.   Once the AP gets provisioned we all get an email giving us relevant information like serial number, asset number, location, switch name, port number, controller name, AP Group.  All of which are customizable.  

We use this DB to deploy 1 or 100 APs (or more).  

Cisco's method is called the APIC-ME.   

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

Darren,

if you are just trying to add APs to a controller you can use this command via the AP CLI

Capwap controller ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

thanks for your reply...

Normally, we will add AP onto WLC when it shows up on WebGUI, then we will assign each AP a unique name. This will take a lot of time. So, I am wondering if we can add APs to WLC through CLI or any other way, and then assign them names. Thanks

Darren,

To be honest the GUI is really the easiest  way.  trust me..  I know its time consuming !!  I will usually change the names via the GUI and then use Cisco Prime templates to change other setting on the AP, like locations and WIPS,

Normally, we will add AP onto WLC when it shows up on WebGUI, then we will assign each AP a unique name. This will take a lot of time. So, I am wondering if we can add APs to WLC through CLI or any other way, and then assign them names.

As long as you have a record of what are the MAC address (ethernet) of those AP, you can work it out a CLI config command to rename them (once registered to WLC). Defaut AP name is something like APc464.13b4.1d93 if c4:64:13:b4:1d:93 is the Ethernet MAC address of a given AP.

(WLC) >config ap name <AP1_New_Name> <AP1_Old_Name>
(WLC) >config ap name <AP2_New_Name> <AP2_Old_Name>  

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Darren.lin
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for your answers. Appreciated :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: