Views
Helpful
Replies

Captive Portal authentication with one only mandatory field

supportgns
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I'm trying to find out how to set up a Guest WiFi network with a custom captive portal, so that anyone who connects has to enter his / her e-mail address in order to identify who is actually using our wireless network, besides another security measures. 

We have a Cisco WLC 2504 and I've found out the default authentication webpage presents a username / password form, and what we want is to not manage any kind of passwords, but instead permit logins with external e-mail addresses, in other words, like a pass-through but with a mandatory field.

We'd also like to restrict e-mail domains to only some specific ones, and I understand this is possible through a external server, but I'd like to know if the same applies for login pages downloaded to the WLC.

Can I do this kind of captive portal internally in the WLC or do I have to redirect to external servers? Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can do this with cisco partnered Captive Portal providers like Purple, local measures or any third party captive portal providers.

From ISE you can do similar stuff by utilizing ISE Guest Access - self registration feature. If you are looking to get this data for marketing perspective then i would suggest to go with partnered captive portals providers mentioned or any other third party providers as these products might be more beneficial for marketing,  it can also provide marketing related insights.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If you download the WebAuth bundle, there is examples of email entries. However, it doesn’t check if the domain or even if the email is valid. I believe it does a simple check for the @ sign.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card