Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3650 as MC with non-directly connected APs

John McNumara
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Catalyst 3650 operating as a Mobility Controller.  I had to change the interfaces on the 3650 that connected to the access points to explicit access ports (switchport mode access).  Before that command was configured, the APs sparatically dropped from the controller - now they are fine.  I have a few other APs in the building that cannot be directly connected to the 3650, but need to terminate CAPWAP with it.  The uplink from another switch (Access Switch 1) to the 3650 is a trunk, and the port from Acccess Switch 1 to the AP is an access port, however I getting the same message in the 3650's logs about it not being an access port and the AP is dropping connection to the MC.

How can I properly terminate CAPWAP from an AP connecting to Access Switch 1 through a trunk to the 3650 operating as a Mobility Controller?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

with the 3850, the AP needs to be directly connected to the switch for it to be able to terminat the CAPWAP tunnel.  If your other closet switch is a 3850, you can put it in MA mode, and build the SPG to the MC.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/deployment_guide_c07-727067.html

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

with the 3850, the AP needs to be directly connected to the switch for it to be able to terminat the CAPWAP tunnel.  If your other closet switch is a 3850, you can put it in MA mode, and build the SPG to the MC.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/deployment_guide_c07-727067.html

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Stephen,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Unfortunately, the 3650 is the only WLC in the building, which spans well over 300 feet in either direction to the APs.  We positioned the 3650 to where we are only leaving a few APs not directly connected as they are around 400 feet away.  Is there any way to accomplish what I need besides changing the non directly connected APs to autonomous mode? 

Stephen,

Is there an alternative to the 3650/3850 series switches I can use as a Mobility Agent?  As I am only needing to terminate 2 CAPWAP tunnels, can I use something like a 2504 as a Mobility Agent?  If not, is there another series that is less expesive then the 3650/3850 can consider purchasing?

Thanks

Currently the 3850 and the 4500 Sup 8 can do MA/MC from the switching side.

If you have a 2504, you could run the WLC in 'legacy' mode vs 'new-mobiliyt' mode and have it terminate the capwap tunnels.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card