Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9115 AP and Mobility Express

Amko3805
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

I have a question regarding Cisco Catalyst 9115AXI-B. I ordered 3 of them with understanding that I could run Mobility Express on one and use it to control other two and not purchase physical controller like 3504 but I'm told by in house expert and reseller that this might not work right now even though its listed here https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/datasheet-c78-741988.html

Can someone shed some light on this? If we are not able to do this then why advertise it. I don't want to purchase controller for 3 AP's that cost more than all AP's put together.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

currently the 9115 APs do not support mobility express so will need a WLC.

Seen here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/datasheet-c78-741988.html

Note: Features available in a future releases – Cisco Mobility Express, Target Wake Time, BSS Coloring, Uplink/downlink OFDMA, Cisco Intelligent Capture

You could look at the 9800 cloud solution or vWLC to save buying a physical controller

There is a road map for mobility express on the 9100 series APs but no official release date

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

currently the 9115 APs do not support mobility express so will need a WLC.

Seen here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/datasheet-c78-741988.html

Note: Features available in a future releases – Cisco Mobility Express, Target Wake Time, BSS Coloring, Uplink/downlink OFDMA, Cisco Intelligent Capture

You could look at the 9800 cloud solution or vWLC to save buying a physical controller

There is a road map for mobility express on the 9100 series APs but no official release date

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Thanks Haydn! 

That's a helluva way for Cisco to advertise something they don't have and not even have asterisk next to it.. had to read few times to catch that text on the bottom of the chart.

From what I see 9800 cloud solutions would cost a lot per hour for 3 AP's and vWLC requires WMvare hypervisor, we run HyperV.. so that's another obstacle. Another option could be buying 1830 or something like that and run it with Mobility Express and connect other AP's to it....

I'll talk to the reseller and try to return the AP's and get something else... I was really pulling for Cisco even though I was suggested other equipment. I assume no one really knows when they might implement Mobility Express...

totally agree with you.

I cant remember where i saw it but i think i saw someone was able to register the 9115 to a 2800 ME AP. I could be wrong.

If you want to keep all consistent and use Cisco could look at 1800/2800/3800 series APs.

Yeah its not very clear on the data sheet  if you miss that small asterisks you would think it does support it

Thanks again. I don't even see asterisks on missing features.. so yeah, that's just poor documentation.

I think i'll just return them... I was going to purchase other cisco gear because of FIPS mode that we need but this left bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully return goes well :-)

Take care

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Haydn is correct.
Catalyst 9K APs do not (yet) support Mobility Express.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: