Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2802i AP CAPWAP Preferred Mode Not-configured

I have new APs 2802i, they are connected to a 2504 WLC. The controller is running 8.2.166.0 code.  The AP's register fine but i have two issues. First the CAPWAP preferred mode (which i have set to IP V4 globall) shows up as not-configured.  Secondly the APs dont show SSID and users can not connect.

CAPWAP Not Configured.PNG 

6 Replies 6

Hi,

Considering your SSID is enabled and "Broadcast SSID" is checked and AP is fully joined on the WLC, then you probably hit a bug. Try to install another firmware version. 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hi Flavio, but to install another serious version in the WLC, right? what I do not want is to affect other APs that I have running in the WLC. Can a firmware be installed only for the 2802i APs?

I was referring to all AP.  If the AP is joined properly, this eliminate a lot of problem usually found.

As I said, if the SSID is enable and being broadcasted, then, I don't see too much option.

Install a new firmware on the AP only is not necessary considering it will install WLC firmware version when joining.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

From the beginning, the AP 2802i had firmware 8.3.102.0.

From what I see when updating the firmware, I would have to do it with a version greater than or equal to 8.3.102.0, since the firmware that the WLC has is 8.2.166.0.

Do you think that this is the problem that the AP2802i at the beginning had a more recent firmware than the WLC?

We have it on a 2702 AP, and I found the following Bug:

https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCuz60197

AP gets adopted to WLC. After that the corresponding WLC GUI page of AP displays "CAPWAP preferred mode"  as "Not configured".

Expected Behavior:   "CAPWAP preferred mode" need to be displayed as "IPV4 (Global Config)"

Procedure to reproduce:
On AP, execute cmd "clear capwap private-config", the reload without save.
When this AP comes up, make it join to WLC.
Once this AP gets adopted to WLC, navigate to WLC gui screen of related AP.

Expected: "CAPWAP preferred mode" need to be displayed as "IPV4 (Global Config)"
Actual: "CAPWAP preferred mode"  as "Not configured".

Conditions:
1852/1830 AP joins to WLC when gets adopted to WLC

For it's a remote site, I hadn't had the chance to test. But Maybe it helps.

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Do you provide enough power to the AP? The 2800 series require PoE+. If they only get PoE, then they run, but disable the radio interfaces.

A downgrade from 8.3.x to 8.2.x is no problem for these APs, but unless you have some very old APs also in use, I suggest you upgrade to 8.5.151.0 or at least 8.2.170.0.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card