cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5508 - HA over L2 WAN

jeetkulkarni
Level 1
Level 1

We want to deploy Cisco 5508 WLAN controllers over L2 link for redundancy.

WLC 1 --- Site A (Vlan 200)---> L2 Link <---Site B(vlan 200) -- WLC 2

At the moment we have site A running with 1 cisco 5508 controller. We have 4 other sites which connect to Site A > WLC 1.

I am planning to add another 5508 controller at site B. In a DR scenario if site A link goes down can the APs from other sites plus site A connect to Site B. 

Are there any guidelines or recommendation for this kind of setup? Your inputs will be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As far as code goes, yes, they both have to be on the same version. It seems that the latest v8.2 is the code folks are moving to. As far as timers goes, I would not change anything unless it's not working. Use the defaults for now. Also, both sites are sharing the same L2 for AP/user subnets right?
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Since you will probably doing N+1, you just need to make sure the two co trollers are configured alike. Of course the hostname and IP address would be different. You would configure the high availability on each AP so that they know which is primary and secondary.

Here is a guide to follow:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide/N1_HA_Overview.html

You can search for WLC N+1 and you will find blogs and videos.
-Scott

Thanks Scott.
I guess it would be good to get both the controllers on the same software version. Do you recommend any particular timers for the HSRP or leave it to the standard ones.

As far as code goes, yes, they both have to be on the same version. It seems that the latest v8.2 is the code folks are moving to. As far as timers goes, I would not change anything unless it's not working. Use the defaults for now. Also, both sites are sharing the same L2 for AP/user subnets right?
-Scott

Thanks Scott.
Yes same subnet across both the sites.

You should be okay then. Just make sure the mobility comes up between the two controllers. The guide will instruct you step by step.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: