cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5520 WLC HA pair AP License count RTU

phipse_508122
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 5520 HA pair and want to increase the license count so that additional AP's can register.  I have an RTU license, please see the output below.  I want to know how I can increase AP count to without "breaking" (reaching the limit of)  the license count.

(Cisco Controller) >show license summary

Feature name: ap_count
License type: Evaluation
License Eula: Accepted
Evaluation total period: 12 weeks 6 days
License state: Inactive, Not-In-Use
RTU License Count: 1500

Feature name: ap_count (adder)
License type: Permanent
License state: Active, In-use
RTU License Count: 130

(Cisco Controller) >show license all

Feature name: ap_count
License type: Evaluation
License Eula: Accepted
Evaluation total period: 12 weeks 6 days
Evaluation period left: 89 days
License state: Inactive, Not-In-Use
License Nodelocked: Yes
RTU License Count: 1500

Feature name: ap_count (adder)
License type: Permanent
License state: Active, In-use
License Nodelocked: No
RTU License Count: 130

==================================
Total available count : 130
Total inuse count : 130

(Cisco Controller) >show license statistics

Total add operations:3
Total delete operations:1
Total eval activations:3
Total eval deactivations:2
Max ap count usage:130
Max eval ap count usage:0
Max base & adder ap count usage:130
Max Eval ap count usage:0
Total over usage:0
Eval license usage days:0
Max base & adder count attained:150
Max adder count added:100

Thank you in advance

phipse

8 Replies 8

Hi

Cisco licensing system is always a mess in my opinion. RTU is not different.

Yes, you can just add more license by edit the counter on the WLC and the question you may ask is, how can I pay for that and how does Cisco know I did?

Of course, you must contact a Cisco partner, buy the right to use licensing and then adjust your wlc.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Thank you for the response.

So can I increase the count to 150 without any issues?

yes you can .

from 130 to 150...

But later you need to buy addition 20 AP addere license from partnet.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thank you Sandeep.

Which brings me back to Flavio's question.  How would Cisco know? If I change this back to 130 at a later date would that impact my license?

Thank you

Hi,

Even I was having the same question in mind. Last week spoke to cisco TAC engineer and he told me that it's only based on trust that we only use what we buy ;)

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

If you want to save yourself the headache of rebooting just set the controllers to full 1500 RTU. 

It's up to you at that point to keep track of how many licenses you are using. 

I just had TAC tell me to convert back to RTU after we tried using smart licensing on 4 controllers as 8.2.166 and 8.3.143 have a bug with the proxy which causes the controllers to not sync up with the server and default to evaluation mode..

mrCua
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I use 5520, and my controller support 1500, now license ap adder now is 100ap, and i bought another 100 ap license, so i have to enter here is 100 or 200, please help me. because i want to enter exactly the same license i bought if i enter it wrong i am afraid i will have to delete the license and it will be annoying if there is an error , i see document https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/KVM/b_CUWN8-1-vWLC-Deployment-Guide-using-LinuxKVM.pdf   but i dont sure

See my last reply above this. There really is no need to do add ons since it’s RTU. You just set to max and track in another system when you need it purchase more. You save yourself from having to constantly reboot when you add. If you want to do the painful way and add licenses each time you just put the number and add. Since it’s a RTU system you shouldn’t have to enter any license information on a 5520 if I remember correctly for RTU. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: