cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Air-LAP1142N-A-K9 and Air-lap1141n-k9 losing POE

pendal8286
Level 1
Level 1

This also includes a Cisco AIR-LAP1252AG-A-K9.  These APs lose POE  when switches in the building are rebooted due to power outages.  When the switches are back online and booted up, the APs are still powered off.  In order to get the APs back online we have to disconnect the APs and then reconnect them.  

- The switches are Cisco 3560Gs, 48 ports.  

- This is the report I'm getting from another tech in the affected building.  Theses switches were recently installed but the APs are quite old.  I'm wondering do they need a firmware update to work with the switches relative to POE.

Anyway, I would appreciate any recommendations or insight you can give me on this situation.

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Sounds like firmware issue with the switch.
What firmware are the PoE switches running on?

The firmware version on the 3560g switches is 12.2.  Specifically here's the image file installed.

System image file is "flash:c3560-ipbase-mz.122-50.SE5/c3560-ipbase-mz.122-50.SE5.bin"

The firmware version of the 2960x switches is 15.2(2)E6.

System image file is "flash:/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E6/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E6.bin"

I'm just wondering if the age of these APs is the issue.  Should a firmware update be performed on the APs first.  

It's highly unlikely that the software of the AP would be the cause of the issue.

If possible check weather other PoE devices connected to the same switch have a similar issue or if you connect the AP's to another switch and see if the problem persist.

Cisco got a recommended software release version c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE12.bin, that may be a good starting point
should you confirm the issue is only with particular switch.

On the wireless end, it always helps to use the Cisco TAC recommended AireOS version, it's not bulletproof but most of the known caveats are fixed in these versions. Just make sure the image you choose meets the compatibility requirements of all the AP models associated with the WLC.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-tac-recommended-aireos.html

I checked the Cisco WLAN Controller and when you go to Access Points/All APs and then select one of the APs you want to manage and then go to Advanced and look at Power Over Ethernet Settings - there is a setting "Pre-standard 802.3af switches that is unchecked.  

In the WLAN Controller it indicated this setting should be checked for switches that support this mode of power for the model of APs I'm dealing with.  I'll activate this setting and follow-up with you good folks.

Wait ... What 2960X?
You initially said the problem was only happening on a 48-port 3560.

I got more information from the tech and when I connected to the switches remotely found there were two types.

And APs connected to either switches are behaving the same?

That's what's being reported to me though I tend to believe the problem is with aps on the 3560s.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
And APs connected to either switches are behaving the same?

Check the uptime of the APs connected to the 2960X and see if they match.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- So shut/no-shut of the involved ports where the AP's are on , doesn't help either ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for the reply.  The tech located in the affected building doesn't have access to switches to issue the shut/no shut commands on the AP ports so I don't know if that would alleviate him from having to manually unplug/reconnect the AP.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: