Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1602e with Cisco/Linksys RE2000 - No DHCP

baldacchino
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have Cisco Aironet 1602e and have been running without issue for some time. Due to the size of my house I needed another access point and thought the Cisco/Linksys RE2000 would do the job and save me having to buy another AP for my house.

My issue is simple.

If a wireless device connects to my SSID which is being hosted by the RE2000 then the clients don't get any DHCP information.

As an exmaple if I walk in to the rear of my house my mobile phone will come in touch with the Aironet and just connect, if I walk in from the front of the house it will connect to the RE2000 and no DHCP will occur.

I thought it may be a DHCP relay setting on the AP and followed the guide at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/ip_addr/configuration/guide/htdhcpre.html#wp1078842 without any luck.

Given my phone (Windows Phone doesn't allow static IP's I can't use this range extender.

If I use a $50 cheapie AP then it works. What do I need to change on nmy super expensive AP to make this work.

Thanks

Shane Baldacchino

8 Replies 8

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Shane,

Try to disable Aironet Extensions.

Aironet Extensions MUST be enabled if you are using two Cisco Aironet APs.

If you are using non-cisco (Linksys is an example) AP as a repeater, disabling the aironet extenions will probably fix your issue.

'''snip'''

Disabling Aironet extensions disables the features ,listed above, but it sometimes improves the ability of non-Cisco client devices to associate to the wireless device.

'''snip'''

Reference: http://goo.gl/ZNqnIY

The "listed above" features includes repeater mode (see the reference link above).

Regarse,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hi Amjad,

Thanks for the excellent reply reply.

I disabled Aironet Extensions on both dot11radio interfaces.

It made no difference.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Shane Baldacchino    

Hi Shane,

How these two devices inter-connect (purely on wireless & acting as a repeater)? Does 1600 AP connect to DSL router ethernet port ? Where is the DHCP defined ?

Post your 1600 "show run " config.

HTH

Rasika

***Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Raskia,

The two devices are only connected wirelessly. The Cisco/Linksys RE2000 will not connect via Ethernet.

In terms of connections.

I have a Cisco 2960PoE acting as my core. It is driving the 1602e AP and other devices around my house.Plugged in to the Cisco 2960PoE is a VMWare ESX host. This machine has 2 connections to the switch.

1. The Gateway - I run a VM runing pFSense which is performing NAT on fibre connection aswell as DHCP

2. LAN Connectivity - Connectivity to the LAN for all the VM's.

Could the issue be my Cisco 2960 PoE?

Thanks in advance

Shane Baldacchino

Hi Shane,

I hope all your LAN devices (1600 AP mgt, WLAN Users, DHCP) are all on a single subnet.

For testing can you configure a DHCP scope on 1600 AP itself & then check the connectivity to see if it works. (In that way we can find where the problem exist).

You can run below debug command on AP itself to findout flow of DHCP packets when you configure AP as DHCP server.

debug ip dhcp server packet detail

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Raskia,

Is there any chance you could provide me step by step instructions on how to do this in the CLI.

I am guessing one cant do this in the GUI as their is no option.

Thanks

Shane Baldacchino         

This can be helpful about how to configure DHCP scoop in Aironet Cisco APs.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-3628

note that local DHCP scoop works with native vlans only. Because the BVI1 interface can only be in a native VLAN. And this scoop uses the BVI1 interface to work. It also depends on your HW/SW versions.

it is also important to mention that repeater mode is not a standard mode. So, each vendor implement it in its own flavor. Compatibility issues is something common with non-standard modes among different vendors.

HTH

Amjad

Hi Amjad,

Thanks for the advice. I would have liked to think though thees devices being both branded Cisco would work together

At the moment I have not performed the test as because maybe its a good thing but the device RE2000 has just stopped working and is suffering the exact same symptom as

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Range-Expanders/RE2000-Range-Extender-possibly-bootlooping/td-p/646640 which in all cases involved a faulty unit.

I have spoken to the retailer where I bought and they will allow me to return the unit for a store credit.

So I have range issues at home. My house is brick and approx 51 building squares, I need another unit.

My core is a 2960PoE and at the moment I have a SAP 1602E. I think I will buy another Aironet.

I was thinking about buying a SAP 1602I.

Given I am a papper CCNA with no experience can someone please recommend what I could do to extend the range of my SAP1602E so that my hidden SSID will float between AP's?

Thanks

Shane Baldacchino

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card