Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP not giving inuff speed over WIFI SSID

pcno
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 300 mbps connection when I am using wired ethernet I get speed of 300-350 mbps but when I connect my laptop to SSID broadcasted via Cisco WLC and Cisco AP I get a speed of 15-40mbps can anyone tell me what could be the problem and how I can fix it.

AP Model : AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9
WLC : 2500
No of AP : 1
No of WLC : 1

Is there a way I can enable a 5Ghz ssid with this ap? If yes please provide me the steps.

Thanks
Priyesh

3 Replies 3

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

In WLC GUI, go to "Wireless--> 802.11a/n/ac-->Network" and enable 802.11a. Additionally, here are some best practices, including for 5Ghz;

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-6/b_Cisco_Wireless_LAN_Controller_Configuration_Best_Practices.html

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What is the exact model of the wireless NIC of the laptop?
What is the complete firmware version of the wireless NIC?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Just to add... the 3602 is 802.11n not 802.11ac. That being said, to get higher speeds, you need to make sure your wireless device supports 802.11n and is 5ghz capable. That you can identity yourself. What you need to search and then configure is “change WLC channel width from 20mhz to 40mhz on the 5ghz”. Search also, “Cisco wlc disable lower data rates”. If your devices support 5ghz, then maybe disable 2.4ghz on the SSID, “Cisco wlc change radio policy”
Your low throughput can be because you are connected to 2.4ghz and that band is very utilized along that it’s only 20mhz wide capable. Moving to 5ghz with 40mhz channel width should help bump that number up.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card