Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco controller 5508 with RADIUS authentication

Frederic Husser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm a trainee in Network and Telecommunication, and I have to do a "model" with a controller, an AP, and a RADIUS server.

Communication and configuration of the lightweight AP has been done.

I use an autonomous access point 1220 as the RADIUS server (no considering it as an AP), and I'm a beginner in RADIUS configuration. I get a "Processing AAA Error 'No Server' (-7) for mobile 00:24:d6:8f:2c:7e" when I launch a debug targetting my PC, connecting to the LAP.

Precursory :

10.137.125.71 is the IP address of the ap1220, working as the RADIUS server

10.137.125.15 is the IP address of the controller.

00:24:d6:8f:2c:7e  is the MAC address of my PC, connecting to the Wi-Fi.

ping works to the RADIUS, to the controller. Each devices are connected by a layer 3 Switch, and ping each others.

The Wi-Fi works when I don't use 802.1X (or when I don't use RADIUS authentication at all)

What I did on the RADIUS server (ap1220 autonomous) :

aaa new-model

radius-server local

nas 10.137.125.15 key password

user test password

user user1 password

AP#show radius local-server statistics

Successes              : 0           Unknown usernames      : 0        

Client blocks          : 0           Invalid passwords      : 0        

Unknown NAS            : 0           Invalid packet from NAS: 0        

NAS : 10.137.125.71 (Pre-configured, it's not used actually)

Corrupted packet       : 0           Unknown RADIUS message : 0        

No username attribute  : 0           Missing auth attribute : 0        

Shared key mismatch    : 0           Invalid state attribute: 0        

Unknown EAP message    : 0           Unknown EAP auth type  : 0        

NAS : 10.137.125.15

Corrupted packet       : 0           Unknown RADIUS message : 0        

No username attribute  : 0           Missing auth attribute : 0

Shared key mismatch    : 0           Invalid state attribute: 0        

Unknown EAP message    : 0           Unknown EAP auth type  : 0        

Username                  Successes  Failures  Blocks

test                              0         0       0

user1                             0         0       0

My WLAN2 configuration, on the controller : (I kept what I thought the more important)

Controller > show wlan 2

Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA/WPA2)............. Enabled                 

WPA (SSN IE)............................... Disabled                             

WPA2 (RSN IE).............................. Enabled                              

TKIP Cipher............................. Disabled                                 

AES Cipher.............................. Enabled                                 

Auth Key Management     

802.1x.................................. Enabled                                    

The debug on the controller : (I kept one more time what I thought the more important)

*May 02 23:02:20.394: 00:24:d6:8f:2c:7e Processing AAA Error 'No Server' (-7) for mobile 00:24:d6:8f:2c:7e

*May 02 23:02:20.395: 00:24:d6:8f:2c:7e Sent Deauthenticate to mobile on BSSID 00:1a:e3:5e:5e:a0 slot 1(caller 1x_auth_pae.c:1276)

I trimmed debug and show wlan, so my post is lighter. I let you the complete version in attached file.

I'm french and my english is not perfect. Thanks to correct me courteously, so I can progress.

Thanks for your support.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well.... you can't use an autonomous AP as a radius for a WLC.... You would need to use a radius server or use local EAP on the WLC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a008093f1b9.shtml

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What equipment do you have? Here is a doc that shows how to setup a WLC to a Microsoft NPS radius server to authenticate using PEAP.

http://www.room641.com/2012/07/wpa-enterprise-peap-on-cisco-wlc-with-nps/

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Hi Scott, and thanks for your help.

Actually, I have to set up the local RADIUS server on the autonomous access point 1220. If you have some idea of anything I could have miss or something...

Maybe it would be easier if I use a Microsoft NPS RADIUS server. I will ask my master course.

Well.... you can't use an autonomous AP as a radius for a WLC.... You would need to use a radius server or use local EAP on the WLC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a008093f1b9.shtml

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Oh, I didn't know. So local RADIUS server on an AP is only for other APs ?

I will try with a Microsoft NPS.

Thanks.

Using a true radius server gives you sooooo much more flexability on who can and can't connect and even apply days and time policies.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card