Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE)

Rickey369
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

After deploying ISE , I'm encountering some problem with the few desktop users as the authentication is very slow (1-3 hours) when they connect LAN cable to their desktop. 

Is this the probelm with ISE? How can i troubleshoot this? Sometimes i need to continuous restart the desktop to get authenticated to LAN network. ( Ie; to get the proper domain network, I usually get "network 3" or "network 1" instead of getting abc.com (<-- Just an example)

This problem is only with few desktop users. Most of the desktop works fine.

Is this the problem with domain controller ?

or dot1x Authentication issue  ( But ISE shows Authentication success)?

Please Help!!

16 Replies 16

pieterh
VIP
VIP

"network 3" or "network 1" instead of getting abc.com

I guess you are not deploying all workstations using central deployment (images /domain-policies)

-> you need to manually configure on those clients that "network 3" and "network 1" (IP-subnets) are also used for known corporate networks and this is not a public or home network.

or you have not added them to active directory sites and services

Hi Pieterh,

The users are added in AD, the problem is with Slow authentication, That is the user sometimes get Network 3 or network 2 instead of getting abc.com and take long time to get abc.com or i need to restart the device several times to get abc.com

Hi Leo,

I use 1.2.1.198

Hi Leo,

I use 1.2.1.198 with 8 patches.

@Rickey369 wrote:
I use 1.2.1.198 with 8 patches.

Whao.  That is old & buggy.  Y'sure you don't want to upgrade to something more recent?

Yes Leo. :( But the issue that im facing right now is because of this old version of ISE or is it something else ?
Will this issue be resolved if update the version? if yes, what is the best version that i can update ?

All I can say is ISE didn't mature until 2.1 and we didn't deploy ISE until it 2.0.

However, I've never seen or heard of anyone taking an hour to login.  

Oh I see. Thanks leo. I will try updating ISE.

But Again , This issue is with few users only. Other user has no problem in getting abc.com . Anyways I will try updating ISE.

Hi Leo.

It does not take time to login at all. There is no issue with login. the problem is , it takes time to get the abc.com domain, instead i get network 3 or network 2 . and i need to wait for long time or i need to restart the system many times to get abc.com

The authentication for the users getting network 3 or network 2 is showing success in ISE.

Also this issue is not with all the users. Only few users , i can say 5 users have this issue out of 100 users.

You may need to check DNS, verify your end devices get the correct suffix when an IP address is assigned from the DHCP server. If you have a firewall that does AD/LDAP authentication for internet services, also verify that this is successful once connected to the network.

Upgrading from 1.2 to 2.x is a major update, you might consider rather starting up a new ISE node/s and migrate your current nodes over to the new ones to mitigate any risk. The most stable release out at the moment is 2.2.

1) This problem is only with few desktop users

That is the user sometimes get Network 3 or network 2 instead of getting abc.com and take long time to get abc.com or i need to restart the device several times to get abc.com

-> can you drill this down to specific brand/model/hw-version/OS of the workstation?

I suggest checking the network drivers + configuration on the clients

dot1x should be the first method used when connecting to the network

2) you've given little information about your network and ISE setup

do you use a guest or quarantine vlan? before assigning the corporate vlan after authorization?

3) It looks to me like these clients do not receive IP-address from dhcp-server,

but reuse an address previously assigned at another network while the lease-time is still valid

-> start from the bottom!

- when displaying "network3"does this client have a correct ip-address

- is this acquired from the correct dhcp server?

- are other dhcp information correct?

Hi pieter,

I use cisco ISE 1.2.1.198 with 8 patches. I also use dot1x auth . we use windows 10 OS. we have guest vlan ( The problem is only when user connects to with wired Connection ) and quarantine vlan ( The user is in the proper vlan when the issue is encountered ).

1. Is this really the issue because of ISE ? Because most of the user dont have this issue, As i said earlier only 5 out 100 user has this issue.

2. Is this anything to do with Domain controller ? if yes, How can i confirm and trouble shoot this ?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card