Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Cisco Meraki MR Access Point Internal Supplicant for Wired 802.1X/ISE Integration

Hey guys,

Does anyone happen to know if Meraki MR access points support submitting credentials to the connected switchport via EAP/802.1X so that the AP itself can authenticate to ISE? 

I know that traditional LWAPs from Cisco support this (see:https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-fixed/107946-LAP-802-1x.html) but I can't seem to find any documentation on whether or not Cisco Meraki MR APs support this. 

The backup option is to use profiling based on CDP/OUI information, but I would prefer an actual 802.1X authentication.

Thanks in advance! 

5 REPLIES 5
VIP Advocate

Re: Cisco Meraki MR Access Point Internal Supplicant for Wired 802.1X/ISE Integration

Not sure if that is possible.
I only found this document, which contains "Wired 802.1x", but I'm not sure if that really helps:
https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/Configuring_RADIUS_Authentication_with_WPA2-Enterprise
Enthusiast

Re: Cisco Meraki MR Access Point Internal Supplicant for Wired 802.1X/ISE Integration

Hey there,

Yeah, that's actually just for WPA2 Enterprise AKA enabling 802.1X on the wireless side. I simply need to know if it's possible to configure the Meraki AP itself to run a supplicant for it's built-in wired adapter. Based on everything I've seen so far, it doesn't appear that it's possible. 

VIP Advocate

Doesn't look like it. I suggest you contact directly Meraki support, they typically answer very fast to emails.
Enthusiast

Good idea. I'll see if Meraki Support can give me any insight. 

Contributor

Also try posting on Meraki community, I know you are looking for something else but MAB is always your option along with profiling.

-Rate helpful posts-
CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards