cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG300-10 Managed Switch - Can't access GUI or CLI

Pabsgc
Level 1
Level 1

I borrowed a 'Cisco SG300-10 10 port gigabit managed switch' from work to practice things i'm learning from my CCNA course.

I have tried a serial to ethernet cable for console connection, and a regular ethernet cable from one of the ports. I have tried to configure the IP manually and enter it in the browser or just let DHCP assign on automatically and enter that on the URL and it doesnt work. (My IP address 192.168.0.17, apparently the switch default IP is 192.168.1.254)

I'm using a macbook pro in case that affects anything.

I can ping the switch fine, I briefly tried downloading telnet but have no idea how to work that program, not sure that I need it yet.

Also worth mentioning that I RESET the switch before bringing it home because I tried to log into the CLI from work with an IT guy (it actually came up then) but we didnt have the password for it.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Glad to know all working as expected, if this resolved can you mark as a solution.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

your IP should be same range of IP address of Manangement IP

(My IP address 192.168.0.17 (192.168.1.17) apparently the switch default IP is 192.168.1.254)

here is the quick setup guide, connect teh console cable and do the basic setup of the switch.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/quick_start/78-19252-01.pdf

if any issue post the console boot logs to have a look what is wrong ?

BB

Thanks for your reply

I have tried setting my computers IP address in the same range, I set it to (192.168.1.250)

Still get 'request time out' when I try to ping the switch.

I looked at the guide to start up via console but not sure how to do this step, google'd but nothing helped:

"Start a terminal application such as HyperTerminal on the computer.
STEP 3 Configure the utility with the following parameters:
• 115200 bits per second (with release 1.2.5 of the firmware, autobaud detection is enabled by default, so the switch should detect the speed after you press Enter). 10 300 Series Managed Switches
• 8 data bits
• no parity
• 1 stop bit
• no flow control "

I'm using terminal on my mac, I assume thats a good one for this. Tried looking at preferences/settings for terminal and saw nothing
about setting bits per second rate.

ok you able to connect terminal access , if not try using default baud rate 9600 and let us know how it goes further.

BB

I dont know how to set the baud rate, since I cant access gui or cli, all I can do is try to ping the switch.

Unless theres specific commands to do that??

You have to configure the baud rate on your client device (computer) in the software you use for the serial connection, for example Putty.

thank you for your help, ive managed to get into the CLI, using SSH with putty

baud rate on the client device you using, client can be like secure CRT, Putty or any other terminal clients.

BB

thank you for your help, ive managed to get into the CLI, using SSH with putty

Glad to know all working as expected, if this resolved can you mark as a solution.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card