Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco UCS C220 M4 WLC upgrade

Hi all,

I have just tried to upgrade a Cisco WLC 8.0 to 8.2.151 (latest recommended). This is hosted on a UCS C220 M4 with firmware 2.0(6d), what version do I need to upgrade this to prior to the WLC as the documentation is not that clear

Regards and thanks in advance

Mike

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What error message did you get?

Hi Leo,

not got the exact response but it was something like unable to boot due to compatibility issue

not got the exact response but it was something like unable to boot due to compatibility issue

Without the exact error message, it is difficult to know what the problem is.

I too have a 5520 WLC.  It is physically a UCS C220 M4 with the VGA port blanked off on the rear (not sure if all UCS C220 M4's have the VGA port blanked off as this is the 1st I have seen).  It was supplied with 8.2x WLC code which I upgraded to 8.3.132 (complete with CSCvf87731...) but I am fine with upgrading WLC code so I an not worried about that.

I am wondering whether there is a need to update the firmware of the actual UCS hardware?  I am not sure what it currently has installed, however I have the VGA/USB/serial console cable from a UCS C240 M4 that will let me see the BIOS boot I guess?

I have a UCS C240 M4 to upgrade as well - although this is an actual UCS.  I tried upgrading the firmware via a USB stick to 3.0(3c) but it failed.  Reading the documentation it seems to suggest that it can only be upgraded by a USB DVD drive or remotely via the CIMC WEB interface.  I'll try again next week as this is all in the staging lab for a few weeks anyway.

Andy

Hi Andrew,

Upgrading the UCS Bios can break the functionality of the WLC software based on information provided by Cisco (I wanted to change the CIMC access from Java to HTML but now not feasible). The best way to go is configuring the CIMC so you can access the server out of band and launch the KVM for CLI access to the WLC. CIMC would allow you access to the Server if you need to check something.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card