Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Wireless Lan Controller 5520 -

JAYESH RAMAIYA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have fitted a brand new WLC 5520 into the rack, Have a few questions on this.

1, Currently the WLC is just connected to power, I thought that you could were able to console on this like you would on a 5508, Has the console been taken off and you are only allowed to kvm onto the 5520

2, Regarding licensing, We already have a WLC 5520 that supports 1000 AP's in use and we have licensing for the AP's. I have been advised that the new 5520 will be standby and need to know if I need another license for the new 5520.  

5 Replies 5

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

1. You can console the 5520 exactly the same as a 5508. The console port is marked as "IOIO" if I remember correctly.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/5520-WLC-DG/b_Cisco-5520-WLC-deployment-guide.html

2. This depends on how you will use the WLC. If you are planing a N+1 with this WLC only to be used as a backup you cen have it running the 90day trail license and make sure to move the APs back to the main controller before the timer runs out. If you plan on having APs on the WLC always you will need the number of licenses needed on the WLC. Or if you will have APs move back and forth the WLCs I would recomend smart licenses so the license moves with the AP.

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

Thanks for your reply Jonas

So, If we have the old WLC with 1000 AP's which is Active, and the second as a Passive, If the active goes down for some reason, the passive takes over, do the AP's automatically (including licences) move over to the passive  and the passive becomes active.

Regards

Jay

In an HA pair (active/hot stand-by) the license does not transfer over. The APs will fail over and be in use under the temporary (90 day I think) license. That is done with the expectation that you will replace the primary and fail the APs back over to it within that time. If you are running an A+B (active/active) pair of WLC, putting the IPs as a primary and secondary in the High Availability tab of the APs, you would need licenses on both WLCs. 

Hi,

If the WLCs will be on the same location I would go with a SSO for hitles failover and easier management. In this case no new license is needed and the backup wlc can be the active one for as long as needed.

But in the case of a N+1 with trail licenses the backup WLC will be active and using trail licenses for 90 days and you will have to have the primary sorted and have the APs fallback before that.

In the case of a N+1 with smart licensing the licenses will then move with the AP and the backup WLC can be primary for as long as you like.

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Don't forget to configure the CIMC!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card