Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Wireless

Zachary Ballard
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone!

Here at my job I have been working with our wireless network at work for about a year now. We have two 5508 wlc's that I am now in complete charge of. I have a general knowledge of how to navigate through the controller & AP settings, monitor and troubleshoot small things.

I currently have my CCNA in Routing/Switching but I would like to learn a lot more on the wireless side. When I log into the controller there are so many different options and I want to learn about those different options so that I can attempt to make our wireless network the best it can be.

So I guess what I'm looking for is some guidance on where to begin building a solid foundation in Wireless. I would also like to learn more about managing these controllers.

Should I start down the CCNA wireless track????

I am open to any and all recommendations!

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Jurgens L
Level 3
Level 3
The CCNA wireless track is very good especially if your wireless environment is a Cisco one. I can also recommend the CWNA track, this is a more vendor-neutral track however one of the best publications on learning the fundamentals about wireless.

<<< Please help the community by marking useful posts helpful, or accept as a solution if it resolved your issue >>>

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

I've listed some of my go-to resources here but it depends how deep you want to go. When I first started I found the social media side of things very useful, particularly Twitter, because the experts tend to be sharing and discussing all the current topics and this helps your knowledge along with the Cisco and CWNP tracks Jurgens has already mentioned. Good luck!

https://ripplesinharmony.wordpress.com/reading-list/

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are two tracks that I can recommend:

CCNA Wireless:

This will give a good foundation of wireless from a Cisco side. It covers the basics of the wireless inside Cisco. Don't expect to learn everything about the controller from this course though, but is a good foundation.

CWNA: this track is a vendor neutral course that focuses on the wireless foundations. To give you some prospective I learn more about wireless from protocol and standards than I did completing the CCNP Wireless Course.

ECSE: I can highly recommend this course. It will teach you about designing good wireless from a RF prospective, around where to put AP to meet the coverage and capacity requirements of the side.

Aside from the formal qualifications the wireless community is very active on Tweeter and very willing to help out answer questions and point you in the correct direction. 

Some Blogs to follow are another good resource all will have a few more and have lots of twitter handles of the authors:

TheWLAN 

mrn-cciew

WIFIBurns

WIFICOOPS

80211eh.com

http://jenniferhuber.blogspot.com/

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you guys for the advice! I think I will start with getting the CCNA Wireless book and then find a good video series like CBT Nuggets. I will also check out the blogs and other material that was suggested!

Thank you guys!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card