Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC - Default AP username/password change

skywalker123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking to change/set the global AP username/password for all APs connected to a 8510 controller. My question would be if any downtime/network blip should be expected? I have tested with a single AP on a test controller with no issues however our environment is very sensitive to downtime.

AP_UserPassSection.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

skywalker123
Level 1
Level 1

Confirmed changing AP Login Credentials from "Wireless -> Global Config" does not affect functionality when applying. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Nope.
The best method is to create a new username/password first. Log in to this new credential.
Once it's confirmed that it's working then delete the previous one.

Hey Leo,

Im referring to the Cisco APs themselves(not the WLC), the default is Cisco/Cisco and i would like to set a custom username/password to be safe. If you can see the screenshot you can see the area i am referring too.

I never leave AP credentials to their default values. This is just plain "irresponsible" (I would love to use a different adjective but I can't use it here).

Just change it. The WLC will warn you if you want somthing causing a downtime, like moving an AP to a group.

You can change it, shouldn't cause an interruption. My suggestion, change it and then disable ssh/telnet access to the AP (if CAPWAP). Only enable it if you need it for troubleshooting.

skywalker123
Level 1
Level 1

Confirmed changing AP Login Credentials from "Wireless -> Global Config" does not affect functionality when applying. 

Rule of thumb is that changing the controller hostname (HA or Mobility), changes in wlan or anything associated to the wlan and interfaces will have some impact. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: