Views
Helpful
Replies

Client receiving DHCP address instead of Reserved

Jackeeeyyy1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am using the latest version of Mobility Express, on my Cisco AIR 1562. Everything is working perfectly apart from the fact I have a handful of devices that have IP addresses reserved by Mac in my Windows DHCP. However when my clients connect to the AP's they pick up a normal DHCP address, not the reservation, however when the clients connect to our older generation AP's they pick up the reservation they should.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jackeeeyyy1
Level 1
Level 1

I resolved the issue; the native VLAN was not set to my trunk native VLAN.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If i were you, i always cross check the MAC Address. may be some typo issue

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

In addition to last my message, what is the range of IP address you reserved for vs what is the DHCP lease IP you getting currently, please compare.

if both are different, you need provide more information about your setup or investigate more.

BB

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I know the MAC addresses are correct as when my clients connect to the older AP's as opposed to my new 1562's they pick up their reserved address.

You have not answered the basic question asked before : 

When you think you got wrong IP what is that IP you have served DHCP compare to Fixed IP you reserved in DHCP ?

BB

Sorry I missed your "basic" question...

My DHCP Scopes are 172.16.100.x and 172.16.200.x

My fixed IP's are 172.30.x.x this is on VLAN 30

You answered your question, you reserved on ther other subnet, and you looking to on other subnet.

So fix the network to bring in to same VLAN to get you right IP.

BB

But that doesn't explain why it only happens on my new access points? 

When my old ones are on the same range and setup as the new ones.

I would suggest to re-review the config, iam sure there is another DHCP getting the IP, or check are you connected to Right AP.

check the SSID

Login  to AP and confirm the Client list your Laptop

check the AP configuration / WLC configuration for the same.

BB

Are you sure they are getting ip address from the same DHCP ion both scenarios?

Maybe there is another DHCP server on the new AP subnet, (maybe the AP has a dhcp pool created?) and therefore the clients are getting IP address from that server.
** Please rate helpful posts **

CCIE #58023

Hiya, thanks for your reply.

Unforunately, there are no DHCP pools created on the controller or AP. I was reading about this;

Step 1   Disable the WLAN by entering this command:

config wlan disable wlan-id

Step 2   Specify the interface for which you configured a primary DHCP server to be used with this WLAN by entering this command:

config wlan interface wlan-id interface_name

Step 3   If you want to define a DHCP server on the WLAN that will override the DHCP server address on the interface assigned to the WLAN, enter this command:config wlan dhcp_server wlan-id dhcp_server_ip_address
Note    The preferred method for configuring DHCP is to use the primary DHCP address assigned to a particular interface instead of the DHCP server override. If you enable the override, you can use the show wlan command to verify that the DHCP server has been assigned to the WLAN.
Note    If a WLAN has the DHCP server override option enabled and the controller has DHCP proxy enabled, any interface mapped to the WLAN must have a DHCP server IP address or the WLAN must be configured with a DHCP server IP address.
Note    PMIPv6 supports only DHCP based clients and Static IP address is not supported.
Step 4   Reenable the WLAN by entering this command:

config wlan enable wlan-id

Do you see the "wrong" IP being leased on the DHCP server? I see no reason why it would be different, unless they are mapped to different VLANs, therefore they will IP address for the specified VLAN.
** Please rate helpful posts **

CCIE #58023

Jackeeeyyy1
Level 1
Level 1

I resolved the issue; the native VLAN was not set to my trunk native VLAN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card