Views
Helpful
Replies

clients not connected to closest access point

mortezasadeghi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

some of our clients were connected to the furthest access point instead of the nearest their own AP.  i don't know why they can not do it,though they are to close them about 2 meters.

is there anyone who can tell me how to solve this problem ?

i have got about 30 APs(air-ap3802p-e) and a WLC 2504.

there is one AP per floor.

this is my case.

9 Replies 9

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The "final" decision to join which AP falls on the wireless client. If the wireless client wants to associate to the furthest AP then there's nothing you can do.

One way of minimizing this from happening is to ensure your wireless clients are running the latest drivers. On the AP-side, you could also try to disable the low-speed data rates (from 11 Mbps and below, make 18 Mbps as Mandatory and the rest are Supported). Do NOT enable Client Load Balancing.

Best way is to do proper site survey.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thank you so much. Its work now

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@mortezasadeghi wrote:

some of our clients were connected to the furthest access point instead of the nearest their own AP 

What is the exact model of the wireless NIC and what is the complete firmware version they are running?

The final decision to join which AP falls entirely on the wireless NIC.  However, this kind of behaviour is very common when the wireless NIC cards are running very, very old firmwares.  It would help if the wireless NIC drivers are updated. 

If the wireless NIC are Intel-based, updated firmware will have a feature called "Aggressive Roaming".  Try and adjust this to "3".

RichardAtkin
Level 3
Level 3

Why did you buy a 3802p for use in what is presumably an office based on your comment of 'one per floor'?

Anyway... Roaming is a Client driven process, all you can do is 'help' the Client to make the decisions you want.  Try;

- Use different antennae to better shape the coverage area you want

- Disabling the lower datarates rates (don't fortget to turn off the slower MCS rates too) to effectively reduce the AP's useful coverage area.  Don't drop it too low though or you create black spots.

- Adjusting AP transmit powers so neighbouring APs aren't heard quite so loudly

- Enabling 802.11K & V - these are ways of the WLC providing info to the Client to help it make better roaming decisions

- Update the Client's drivers

- Update the WLC's firmware

The first three are best done in conjunction with a Survey...  to do so without a survey is just pure guesswork.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You mentioned “there is one AP per floor” that is your issue, not a good design.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

^^ Depends how big the floor is!

Yes it does but 30 AP’s and in in each floor?
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

eeeeerm... los of basements? :-/

or maybe several separate buildings that are each only a few stories high?

(No idea!)

@Scott Fella

thanks for reply

i said ,they are to close them about 2 meters.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card