Views
Helpful
Replies

Code 8.0.140.0 shutting down AP Radio Interfaces

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

Hi all,

I'm just putting this here in case it happens to anyone else as it currently isn't registered as a bug against code 8.0.140.0 and is causing me a bit of grief.

I upgraded an 8510 WLC hosting around 600 APs in FlexConnect local auth/local switching mode from code 8.0.133.0 to address a bug where random APs weren't able to establish a permanent DTLS tunnel with the WLC and would drop off and become unusable (wouldn't fall back to standalone mode): 

CSCuz28501 - https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuz28501/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Once upgraded most of the APs came back fine but I could see on the Monitor page that although there were 600 APs, 30 or so showed as both 802.11a/n/ac and 802.11b/g/n radios as Down.

To find the affected APs it was easier in the CLI to use the command grep include DOWN "show advanced 802.11a summary". I validated the settings on the list of APs and found they were configured correctly with FlexConnect Group and APGroup and also in "Enabled" mode but their radios were still down.

Workarounds

A manual fix is to log into each affected AP and perform the following steps:

debug capwap console cli
conf t 
int do0
no shut
int do1
no shut
end
write mem

Alternatively, I have created a CPI template that sets the radio interfaces to enabled.

Caveats

This fix doesn't appear to be permanent. When I reload one of the affected APs it comes back with the radios disabled. This is also the case for any AP that loses power and re-associates with the WLC.

think it is possibly the case for any APs that have entered standalone mode and re-associated without losing power as well but I am yet to confirm that.

Conclusion

Don't go to code 8.0.140.0 any time soon unless you fancy daily fixing of affected APs. I have asked Cisco to look into whether this is a bug or not.. it could be my mis-configuration somewhere as well but this wasn't affecting the APs on 8.0.110.0 or 8.0.130.0 so I think this is unlikely.

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts
0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: