Views
Helpful
Replies

Concentration of clients in LAP 1142

TGF_Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

hi

I have a problem with the concentration of clients in one of the LAP in a floor. There are about 34 clients connecting on radio a/n and about 12 on b/g/n.

Even though there are two access points the client distribution seems to be not happening well. Could it be because of the distance between the two access points? They are one at eeach end of the corridor.

I was planning to install one in between the two. Will this solve the issue?

thanks

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That should help. They are not connecting to the other maybe due to weak signal. So if you provide another AP make sure it's signal can reach either end to help with client load.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

sin
Level 1
Level 1

Have you enabled client load balancing for the WLAN and on the controller? Should help!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Client dictatesroaming. From ap 1 what is the signal in dBm of ap 2 and the other way around.

As for load balance. Does really work. Most client dont abide by reason code 17 ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hello

Thanks , but is this going to cause any interruption to  the traffic?

The problem is since we have a single WLAN that we use for all our users, I am not sure if it is a good idea to enable it like that.

Can this be tested first on a few access points only through some commands?

thanks for your help

hi could you give me a command to execute on wlc to get the output for this.. from the wcs it is not very accurate.

Try and get adjacent AP's on the same WLC so that the roaming is smoother. Also, if the AP' are in close proximity to each other you could increase the mandatory data rate to shrink your cell size. Again, that depends on the density of your deployment, but it would help distribute your client load.

the two aps are associating to two different controllers..

will aggressive load balancing still have an effect?

Don't enable aggressive load balancing.... you need to add another AP because you probably have a poor signal from one or the other.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

If possible, put all WAPs in the same controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card