cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

converting the AIR-LAP1242AG-E-K9 from lightweight to autonomous AP

arumugasamy
Level 1
Level 1

Please could any one tell me the procedures to convert the AIR-LAP1242AG-E-K9 to the autonomous Ap because we wrongly ordered the AP. We do not have any WLC with us. So that we want to use the access point as IOS based autonomous AP.

Thnaks in Advance

swamy

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Swamy,

This is a pretty common occurance and the AP can be converted back to Autonomous (IOS) using the following method;

Reverting the Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html#wp161272

Converting a Lightweight Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode

You can convert an access point from lightweight mode back to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS Release that supports autonomous mode (Cisco IOS release 12.3(7)JA or earlier). If the access point is associated to a controller, you can use the controller to load the Cisco IOS release. If the access point is not associated to a controller, you can load the Cisco IOS release using TFTP.

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, and c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point.

Step 4 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 5 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 6 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 7 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 8 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 9 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html#wp161272

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

The Steps from 1-9 meant for which access point.

i followed the steps using LAP1242AG to convert it to the Autonomous AP. But i confused steps 6-9.Please explanin me steps 6-9 please. When i press the MODE button i did not get the red LED also after 30 seconds LAP1242 goes to ap: boot mode like router rommon mode.Please expalin me how can i copy the IOS to the AP and confiure the IP for GUI access.

Please your response highly appreciated.

swamy

Hi Swamy,

Have a close look at these steps, remember that you must first remove the power cord and then hold down the Mode Button while you reconnect the power cord. Continue to hold down the Mode Button for 20-30 seconds (could be longer) until the Radio LED turns Red. Then release mode button, and the AP will reboot and start the TFTP download of the IOS file. Have a look;

Figure 4-2 Console Port Location **(has a good picture of the Mode Button and LED's)

Step 5 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 6 Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 7 Hold the MODE button until the Radio LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 8 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6521/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008079b730.html#wp1078480

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Now i am with new problem. Ther is no image for 1240 series IOS earlier than 12.3(7)JA. But this image is deferred and not to be downloaded.Pleas e tell which image ver has to be taken for this task.

Other help:

we need to take wireless survey for the hotel. The gain inside the guest room is very less using even 5 dB 1728 omni antenna. AP was located in the corridor to reach the guest room but only 50% only but client wants 80-90%.

How can we achieve it?

Now we tring to use the 1742 LAP to use after convert it to autonomous AP as adviced by Cisco Engr.

Please help me

Swamy

Hi Swamy,

My appologies here :) The reference to 12.3(7)JA is from an older doc. Why don't you try the following (available) image;

Release Notes for Cisco Aironet Access Points for Cisco IOS Release 12.3(8)JA2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_release_note09186a00806a61e6.html#wp17024

As for a the site survey goes, this needs to be done by a professional that takes into account all of the environmental variables. Trying to answer those type of questions here is all but impossible. If your Cisco engineer is aware of the site in question and has made certain recommendations it is probaly worth a try. Nothing will replace a proper site survey when it comes to implementing the optimum "wireless" setup.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: