cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy WLANs from 8510 to 5508?

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

Is there a way to copy WLAN's from an 8510 to a 5508?  I have prime and I discovered templates from the 8510 but can't seem to choose the 5508 under the deploy option.  Also, is there a way to do a bulk deployment of all of the WLAN's as I have almost 100.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Are you sure you want to migrate to an 5508 which is soon EoL?
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/eos-eol-notice-c51-740221.html
If you still can, try to trade it for an 5520 WLC.

But to your question, I sadly couldn't find a guide or anything for this specific scenario. Not sure why prime isn't allowing you to do this, but maybe it's because they are different product families.

My customer has chosen to have the 5508's as their disaster recovery units.  They have two of them to take over for the 8510 should a disaster happen.  Between us, I doubt they will ever get used.

The EoL issue could very well present itself in a few ways, especially if they ever decide to upgrade their code on the 8510 past what the 5508 can handle.  

Not my suggestion, but what the customer wants.

Thanks.

Just be aware that 5508 can only handle 500 AP's. 8510 manages, with no issues based on my own experience, from 1000-1300 AP's.

I do not like 8510 at all because it does not have CIMC option so if you face the same issue I had in the past regarding the built-in license, the only option available is an RMA. One of the benefits of CIMC is that you can reinstall that license. I have not check in detail the 5520 yet.

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If cisco PI doesnt allow to deploy it then open both WLC GUI parallael and try to configure the wlan from scratch on new WLC . It will take time but less chances of errors or misconfiguration.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

I used Prime to get a text of the configuration and then I am modifying the text to be able to dump it into the 5508's.  

Thanks for the help.

yes you can do if it has the same software version.

Regards

It does have the same software version but I could not get it to work.

First...:  you better also to read release notes for your version in case it includes any special instructions about backup/restore operation.

If Backup/Restor not working then..I will use the one to one method(open both WLCs GUI parallel ) to confgure new WLC (From scracth), honestly it only takes a little while to build out the new config.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: