cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does AireOS 8.5 Upgrade for 5520 and 8540 Controllers require CIMC Upgrade

Scott Gillies
Level 1
Level 1

I have to upgrade a 5520 WLC from 8.2.x to 8.5.x. The CIMC module is not used or connected so no remote CIMC access.

As usual the release notes are not very clear but quotes bug reference CSCvo33873 that states for 5520 and 8540 appliances "We recommend that you upgrade the CIMC utility to Version 3.0(4d) that has been certified to be used with these controllers." (release 4.0(2h) is now available).

The CSCvo33873 bug notes states that

• “After a wireless LAN controller reloads, no access points are able to join.” This is exceptionally worrying!!
  • “Ssh and HTTPS connections to the controller fail.” Is this just to the CIMC or the WLC?

So I am unclear if this is just an issue for those who manage the WLC (and upgrade) via CIMC or if it is a broader issues for those who would use the conventional WLC GUI route.

As part of my 5520 8.2x – 8.5x upgrade, is it necessary to first upgrade the CIMC software if it is not being used?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As part of my 5520 8.2x – 8.5x upgrade, is it necessary to first upgrade the CIMC software if it is not being used?

It is not mandatory to upgrade CIMC first. However due to those vulnerabilities, it is recommend to upgrade your CIMC to latest.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

It is not mandatory to upgrade CIMC first. However due to those vulnerabilities, it is recommend to upgrade your CIMC to latest.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank you. I am remote from the appliances so it would be a headache to impliment if the CIMC had to be included with the upgrade. I can now plan a seperate change for the CIMC as recommended.

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @Scott Gillies 

Your timing is perfect. I just unboxed two brand new 5520's and they came shipped from factory with CIMC 4(01)a and WLC code 8.3.140.0

My plan was to put both controllers on the gold star release (8.5.151.0) - the release notes were already confusing because they recommended an older version of CIMC. I suspect the documentation has not been updated. Ignore that old CIMC.

I upgraded both controllers to 8.5.151.0 while it was on the "old" CIMC code.

I then proceeded to upgrade both servers using the HUU (Host Update Utility) to version 4.(02)h

Everything went smoothly. 

Thanks Arne. Will do this when I get the oppertunity.

The CIMC upgrade will take between 60 to 70 minutes. During this time, the physical hardware will not be responsive. The "breakdown" of the CIMC upgrade are the following:

1. HUU gets copied into the CIMC = 24 minutes
  2. <Click "Update All">
  3. CIMC firmware = 13 minutes
  4. LOM & SSD = 5 minutes
  5. BIOS = 4 minutes
  6. BIOS finishes and when "Click Yes" to continue, takes another 1 minute before PING DROPS #1
  7. PING DROPS #1 (CIMC stops responding to ping) for about 4 minutes
  8. CIMC responds to ping for another 3 minutes
  9. PING DROPS #2 for another 4 minutes
  10. After this CIMC starts to respond to ping and begins to "power up" the WLC.

I upgraded one of my 8540 CIMC and took more than 1hr (Agree with what Leo has stated). Here is the steps if anyone wonders

https://mrncciew.com/2019/09/06/cimc-upgrade-8540-5520-wlc/

HTH

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card