cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dump a list of LWAPP's including Serial #'s

lcnorwood
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way from the console or from the web interface to dump a list/inventory of LAP's tied to a particular controller, including IP's and serial #'s?   

Trying to save myself a ton of work...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Before using the WCS I also did things like that on a regular basis. I found that with Notepad++ and Excel I had the correct tools to get that information fast and in a clear overview.

Anyways,

Log into the CLI of the WLC. Setup your terminal software to send the output directly into a text file.

• config paging disable
  • show access-point-config (a hidden command, which is basically the same as show ap config general, but you don't need to enter each and every AP name. Just keep pressing the enter button, until the WLC is through all APs)

You can then stop logging the terminal session and quit.

Now this file contains every information you need and more.

For the next step you will need Notepad++ as well as a certain plugin called Python Script and TextFX (the latter one should already come with the editor, if not search the plugins for "TextFX Characters")

You can download it directly via Notepad++ by going to Plugins->Plugin Manager. Under Available search for "Python Script"

Once installed you can write & execute scripts.

Now open up Notepad++ and go again to Plugins->Python Script->New Script. You will be asked for a path where you want to save that script. Once done paste the following code into the script (cannot attach the actual script to this post)

editor.rereplace(r"(^AP Serial Number.*)", r"\1\r\n#")

editor.rereplace(r"^Cisco AP Name\.+ (.*)|^IP Address\.+ (.*)|(?:Primary|Secondary|Tertiary) Cisco Switch (?:Name|IP Address)\.+ (.*)|^AP Serial Number\.+ (.*)|(?:\w|[-,:./\_()~*$@<>?% ])+", r"\1\2\3\4")

editor.selectAll()

notepad.runMenuCommand("TextFX Edit", "Delete Blank Lines")

editor.rereplace(r"(\w)\r\n", r"\1;")

editor.replace(r";#","")

It certainly is not perfect as I am not that good in this thing, but it gets the job done. Previously I did all those steps by hand

Save the script and open up the file where you have logged your terminal output and execute the script via Plugins->Python Script->Scripts->your_script.py

Mind you that the finished output might show duplicate entries. That is because the show access-point-config separates an AP by its installed radios. So you will see two entries for a dual band AP.

The script might take some minutes to complete, so just let it run through.

Once complete you are able to export the output to excel and use the "text to columns" feature where you chose the semicolon as separator. Before you can run "Remove Duplicates" so you get rid of the redundant entries.

Now you should have a file where you have all the informations you need.

HTH

Regards,

Patrick

View solution in original post

32 Replies 32

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Without WCS/NCS/CPI?  No.

daviwatk
Level 3
Level 3

While a bit cumbersome; it's feasible.  It would require some legwork and post-collection formatting.  From the CLI...

To see list of AP names and IPs you could perform

>show dtls connections

Any AP that has CAPWAP control path up (joined to WLC) would appear here with AP name and "Peer IP"

For pulling serial number; this is pretty tedious, but you could script this out

You would need to execute the following for each ap

>debug ap enable

>debug ap command "show ver | inc Serial"

May even try "PCB Serial Number" as the "include" for relevant SN

You will get some extra outputs regarding the WLC task, timestamps, and MAC, but you will see the value of this "command" returned to the WLC screen afterwards. 

Again, this isn't pretty, but can it be done; yes.  Leo's suggestions would be much easier

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You could run this command also

show ap config general

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Making it easy on him eh?  Good call Scott.

I still don't think that is easy... you would need to take that data an run it through something that might be able to just export what you need... I would not want to have to go through a list of even 100 of these:)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Yeah, easy is always awesome.   i'm curious if this would show in a show tech.   I don't mind digging a little for the info, but don't want to do a bunch of tedious commands, as we're in the middle of doing our smartnet renewals  (No, not everything was purchased with smartnet GRRR)

Come on cisco, isn't there a way to make this easier?

It will... but if you have a lot of AP's, you better watch the CPU when you issue that command.. by a lot, I mean 1000+

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

We're under 100 for the moment.

The show tech didn't work. 

show run-config has the info

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Before using the WCS I also did things like that on a regular basis. I found that with Notepad++ and Excel I had the correct tools to get that information fast and in a clear overview.

Anyways,

Log into the CLI of the WLC. Setup your terminal software to send the output directly into a text file.

• config paging disable
  • show access-point-config (a hidden command, which is basically the same as show ap config general, but you don't need to enter each and every AP name. Just keep pressing the enter button, until the WLC is through all APs)

You can then stop logging the terminal session and quit.

Now this file contains every information you need and more.

For the next step you will need Notepad++ as well as a certain plugin called Python Script and TextFX (the latter one should already come with the editor, if not search the plugins for "TextFX Characters")

You can download it directly via Notepad++ by going to Plugins->Plugin Manager. Under Available search for "Python Script"

Once installed you can write & execute scripts.

Now open up Notepad++ and go again to Plugins->Python Script->New Script. You will be asked for a path where you want to save that script. Once done paste the following code into the script (cannot attach the actual script to this post)

editor.rereplace(r"(^AP Serial Number.*)", r"\1\r\n#")

editor.rereplace(r"^Cisco AP Name\.+ (.*)|^IP Address\.+ (.*)|(?:Primary|Secondary|Tertiary) Cisco Switch (?:Name|IP Address)\.+ (.*)|^AP Serial Number\.+ (.*)|(?:\w|[-,:./\_()~*$@<>?% ])+", r"\1\2\3\4")

editor.selectAll()

editor.rereplace(r"(\w)\r\n", r"\1;")

editor.replace(r";#","")

It certainly is not perfect as I am not that good in this thing, but it gets the job done. Previously I did all those steps by hand

Save the script and open up the file where you have logged your terminal output and execute the script via Plugins->Python Script->Scripts->your_script.py

Mind you that the finished output might show duplicate entries. That is because the show access-point-config separates an AP by its installed radios. So you will see two entries for a dual band AP.

The script might take some minutes to complete, so just let it run through.

Once complete you are able to export the output to excel and use the "text to columns" feature where you chose the semicolon as separator. Before you can run "Remove Duplicates" so you get rid of the redundant entries.

Now you should have a file where you have all the informations you need.

HTH

Regards,

Patrick

Patrick - 

That was OUTSTANDING!   Thank you very much!

Patrick ..

Hit me up in PM .. I would like to ask you a question ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Nice!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card