I cannot find anything quite like what I am describing in the forums or elsewhere so forgive me if this is old or there is a solution available, I could not find that.
I have configured a web login page, see attached for config.
For security, Layer 2 is set to none. Layer 3 is Web Policy and Passthrough
The first time I try on a Win 10 laptop, I do get the web auth page and it worked just fine. However, the second time I get the page in the 2nd attachment. When I click connect on that page, it takes me right back to that page.
When I try on a Win 7 laptop, windows tells me extra authentication is needed, but even opening a browser, I cannot get to the web auth page.
When I try on a google Pixel phone, I do have to tap to sign in, but the connectivitycheck.gstatic.com page is blank
When I try on a Samsung A8 Android phone, it works perfectly everytime.
Even just focusing on the Windows laptops, does anyone know what might be wrong?
VIrtual address of 184.108.40.206 has been retired.
It is being used by DNS provider.
You change your virtual address to 192.0.2.1 I believe.
Change your Virtual IP of WLC from 220.127.116.11 to 192.0.2.1 as a 1st thing Community Thread.
Then map a URL (myname.domain) and install a SSL certificate for the URL mapped for the Virtual IP.
You have to create a DNS entry on your DNS for the URL myname.domain to resolve.
The DNS is optional, so I have not done it yet. I also don't mind not doing the certificate. so i changed the ip address, as I believe that my issue resides with 18.104.22.168 being an issue within browsers such as chrom, firefox, and IE because it was added to the HSTS preload list.
I just tested and an android phone hits 192.0.2.1 no problem. an iphone went to 22.214.171.124 first, then 192.0.2.1 and worked just fine. my laptop browsers are still going to 126.96.36.199 so i gotta find where else on the controller 188.8.131.52 is configured
Take a reboot of the WLC once and check on the laptop.
Certificate and DNS part will resolve most of the browser version issues.