cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with wireless design, 802.1x security, BYOD, RADIUS, ACS

Phil Williamson
Level 1
Level 1

Need some advice on how to tackle some wireless issues, concerns and questions.

- The network looks like this:
Data Center with only one AIR-CTC5508-K9 (v7.4.115.0) supporting 125 LAPs; there are plans for a redundant pair.
50 offices connect to the DC via Metro Ethernet/MPLS; each with 20Mbit connection
Each office is a separate OSPF area and routed VLAN Only three wireless VLANs at this time
Only data on wireless - no voice or video and no plans for them in the forseeable future
Each remote also has a broadband Intenet connection for failover to DC on VPN
Currently all Internet access is through the DC
Is it possible to use the local office ISP connection for GUEST Internet in this scenario?
Since all wireless is capwap encapsulated I'm thinking I cannot, but I'm up for suggetions.
802.1x user security is the top priority to implement at this time.
How much functionality does one get (or lose) with a Microsoft based RADIUS server, versus something like Cisco ACS for 802.1x
User devices run the gamut of Microsoft, Apple, Android etc - a true BYOD scenario.

Suggestions for reading material?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you use FlexConnect mode (oppose to local mode) AP in these branches, then all branch traffic will terminate on branch switches. So in this way you can allow guest SSID user traffic to use DSL available at branch. So WLAN to be configured as FlexConnect Local Switching.

If you want certain WLAN to be centrally switch (where traffic is tunnel back to HQ) you can do that as well.

ISE is the recommended product from Cisco as radius server.

Here is a good branch wireless design presentation from Ciscolive

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

If you use FlexConnect mode (oppose to local mode) AP in these branches, then all branch traffic will terminate on branch switches. So in this way you can allow guest SSID user traffic to use DSL available at branch. So WLAN to be configured as FlexConnect Local Switching.

If you want certain WLAN to be centrally switch (where traffic is tunnel back to HQ) you can do that as well.

ISE is the recommended product from Cisco as radius server.

Here is a good branch wireless design presentation from Ciscolive

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Manannalage,

Thanks for the very informative and helpful reply.  The Ciscolive presentation is just what I'm looking for.  It's amazing what a combination of well executed pictures and supporting text can do to illuminate an otherwise complicated situation.

Can you help me understand the differences between Cisco Secure ACS and ISE?  My customer currently is using Solarwinds with Orion for network monitoring - NetFlow etc.  Neither ACS or ISE is inexpensive so can ISE take the place of ACS?

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil,

ISE can do much more functions(AAA, Guest Service, Device profiling, monitoring & reporting) compare to ACS (only AAA). Going forward ISE going to be the dominant product & ACS may discontinue in future.

Here is another Ciscolive presenstaion you can go through

BRKSEC-2044 Building an Enterprise Access Control Architecture with ISE

You can watch the video session of the above from here. 

https://www.ciscolive.com/online/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=77948&backBtn=true

By the way these Ciscolive material is freely accessible, if you register  with Ciscolive.com you can access any Ciscolive event materials. Here is the registration link.

https://www.ciscolive.com/online/connect/createAccount.ww

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful resposnes ***

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card