cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I move access points to another controller

jdr450
Level 1
Level 1

I have 5 4400 controllers, 4 are in production & the 5th is backup / hotspare. I have added 2 new ap's to our network & 1 ap has been assigned to the 5th controller. I would like to move that ap to one of the other controllers. I only have 1 controller that is @ capacity of 100 ap's the other 3 are max of 75 ap's.

6 Replies 6

You can set the primary/secondary/tertiary controller for an AP via the current controller to which the AP has joined.  You may want to reboot the AP after the setting has been applied.  We have this set for every AP so that we can control what AP's move to what controller when a controller fails.

I see those settings on other  ap's but this 1 ap does not give me the options  / drop downs to choose 1st, 2nd etc? Do you have any idea why I don't have the options to choose.

thanks

It's not a drop-down menu.  You have to specifically enter the controller name and controller management IP address.  Can you specify what firmware you are using?

I did a restart on the ap now I have options to choose controllers

Hi Robert,

I have a project where I tried to migrate an AP to test to a different Wireless controller that is in another physical location. I configured the primary wireless controller to the AP and it accepted. However, when I test a client, example: my cell phone to connect to the SSID, it will not browse. After I login to the Wireless Controller that the AP is now on, I do not see clients on the Controller. Does this have to do with local or flexconnect? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

However, when I test a client, example: my cell phone to connect to the SSID, it will not browse. 

Did the wireless client get a valid IP address or not?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: