Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add Access point to Solarwind NMS via WLC 2500

hashimwajid1
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Guys

i want to add 100 AP into NMS. all access point have connected with 2500 WLC. can someone tell me what configuration required to add all APs into NMS via WLC

do i required to configuration on  all AP or i required to configure only  WLC ?

i am new to Wireless so i required your suggestion 

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1- its mean i have to configured SNMP on WLC only and rest of the configuration will be done on Solarwind NMS ?

On the WLC you need to create an SNMP community on the Management tab. Only this.

Then, on NMS you need to add the WLC with IP address and community and anything the NMS asks. But,as I said, keep in mind that you may need to play with MIB. Not sure how this works on solarwinds but must be good doc for that.

2- in current setup 800 AP alrady connected with WLC. i want to add more 100 AP in current setup. there is no DHCP server in Wireless Network so i manually assighned IP on 100 AP and after assighning  IP i have verified that all AP can be shown on WLC.

my question is in order to Push SSID on newly added APs what i have to do on WLC so all new APs will start broadcasting SSID ?

Should be instantaneously if you dont have AP group. All AP on Default Group. 

If you have AP group, you may need to add AP on its respectives groups.

Also, make sure AP is in  Local or flexconnect more, depends on your setup. And AP admin status must be "Enabled". This is the default behavior but just in case.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Just add the WLC to solarwinds. The created node status page will then list each associated AP.

cheers,

Seb.

thanks for suggestion 

1- its mean i have to configured SNMP on WLC only and rest of the configuration will be done on Solarwind NMS ?

2- in current setup 800 AP alrady connected with WLC. i want to add more 100 AP in current setup. there is no DHCP server in Wireless Network so i manually assighned IP on 100 AP and after assighning  IP i have verified that all AP can be shown on WLC.

my question is in order to Push SSID on newly added APs what i have to do on WLC so all new APs will start broadcasting SSID ?

AP are visible on WLC. do i need extra configuration on WLC for new APs to broadcost current SSID

On the WLC you need to create an SNMP community on the Management tab. Only this.

Then, on NMS you need to add the WLC with IP address and community and anything the NMS asks. But,as I said, keep in mind that you may need to play with MIB. Not sure how this works on solarwinds but must be good doc for that.

Should be instantaneously if you dont have AP group. All AP on Default Group. 

If you have AP group, you may need to add AP on its respectives groups.

Also, make sure AP is in  Local or flexconnect more, depends on your setup. And AP admin status must be "Enabled". This is the default behavior but just in case.

That's correct, just confgiure SNMP communication between the two and all associated AP will appear on solarwinds:eg.png

To enable an SSID on the APs, first check that they are all associated with the WLC. In 'advanded' mode on the GUI:

Wireless -> Access Points -> All APs

....should list them all.

Create you SSID:

WLANs -> WLANs

Then create an AP Group:

WLANs -> Advanced -> AP Groups

...this is where you combine your APs into groups and assign SSIDs to each group.

cheers,

Seb.

Your steps are on point. I just added an 5520 showing all AP's Thanks man!

Hi,

If you just add the WLC in a NMS different from Cisco Prime, you may not get all information from WLC, you probably will not see APs.

Chances are you see Interfaces, Memory and CPUs.

That's how SNMP works, we have public information under certain directory and we have "hidden" information under some others directory.

You need to download cisco WLC MIB and play with that on your NMS. 

Your NMS needs to be able to send specific request in order  to get specific answers.

Thanks for your Suggestion 

I'll do this activity on Sunday and will let you know the result. 

Please, share your finds. I´d like to know how Solarwinds handle it. I have broad expecience with Cisco Prime and open source tools like Nagios, Zabix,etc but I didn´t with Solarwinds.

@Flavio Miranda wrote:

Please, share your finds. I´d like to know how Solarwinds handle it. I have broad expecience with Cisco Prime and open source tools like Nagios, Zabix,etc but I didn´t with Solarwinds.

I added AP on solarwind by polling method ICMP

Hi Hashim ,

Solarwinds NPM uses two basic methods to each the devices/nodes : ICMP and SNMP.

ICMP is used just to recrd the reachability of the node. SNMP polling is used to get specific data from the nodes (like CPU, Memory , disk space etc.). As soon as u configure the WLC on NPM , the NPM will automatically list the APs. So, the basic reachability of the WLC and APs will be dne hereafter.

However , if you are looking for some specific information from the Aps/WLC like the AP cpu, memory, number of clients etc. , you may have to download a paricular MIB on the NPM forthe Cisco WLC model and software version that you are using. Although , I hope that NPM should have the MIB fr Cisco installed already.

Regards,

Manish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card