Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add an AP to a Controller

zekebashi
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, 

I'm not familiar with the process of how to add an access point to a controller. DHCP with option 43 has been configured for the subnet where the AP will be installed. The AP has obtained an IP address and I'd like to know how to discover it on the controller and add it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. 

Best, ~zK 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I dont know what you want to ask exactly.

Is AP already connnected to wlc?

If yes the yyou can go to Wireless > Access point >  All AP, Here you can find the all AP connected to this WLC.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Zk,

You have to use DHCP option 43 in dhcp pool configured for AP to find out the WLC:

option 43 hex <hexadecimal string> 

More info about DHCP Option 43: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/97066-dhcp-option-43.html

I will try to keep AP and WLC on same subnet.

More info about LAP registartion to WLC:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/70333-lap-registration.html

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thanks for input, Sandeep. I should have been clearer. Actually, I would like to know how to add an AP using the controller's GUI. I have completed the DHCP Option 43 configuration and the AP has an IP address. 

Thanks again. 

Best, ~zK 

Did AP discovered WLC???

If AP can find WLC then it will automatically join to primary WLC.

Paste the logs from AP console access.

Regards

This is part of what I need to understand. How can I discover, poll, or search for a particular AP, knowing its IP address and MAC, from the Controller's GUI? Consider deploying APs in a large campus and having the APs' MAC address, how would you go about discovering the APs from the controller's GUI? 

I appreciate your assistance. 

Best, ~zK 

I dont know what you want to ask exactly.

Is AP already connnected to wlc?

If yes the yyou can go to Wireless > Access point >  All AP, Here you can find the all AP connected to this WLC.

Regards

Got it! 

Wireless > Access Points > All APs > Change Filter > MAC Address and put in the last 4 characters of the AP's MAC. 

Thanks so much for all your help, Sandeep. 

Best, ~zK 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: