Views
Helpful
Replies

How to secure a wireless network

Lajja1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I want to secure my WLAN but am not sure how i can do that. I want Mobilephone, iPads etc to be able to connect to my network in a secure way. Somehing like a guest-network with increased security. Can i do more than just simply username + password?

/Lajja

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can, but the question is if this is for guest or not. The reason I ask is because you don't want ton have to configure the SSID for each guest user. Now if its for your internal use, you can always use preshared key or even PEAP if you want, but PEAP will require a radius server and a certificate installed in the radius server.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

It is not a guest-network.

We will just test to se how it works, so in the beginning i will only add a few accounts in the wireless controller and a few users will test it. But eventually every employee that has a phone or iPad or similar should be able to connect to the network without having me add hundreds of accounts.

I have two radius servers running. Today the laptops connects to a employee network by using a certifikate that is being downloaded automatically if the laptop is registered in the AD.

Is it possible to do something similar with phones and iPads?

/Lajja

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use PEAP which only requires a radius certificate ate which you already have. If you want to to EAP-TLS which is also supported on the iDevices, you need to add a certificate to each device. You can search the Web and you will find links on how to do that. Sonora up to you on what type of 802.1x you want to use. I use PEAP at home because its easier.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

msonnie
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with Scott on the use of EAP (all types) as most devices in todays time are pre-enabled with certificates or are 802.1x compatible.

Moreover, the mobile devices can work on VPN which requires encrption and EAP-TLS is a usual choice for such functionality.

HTH.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card