cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I need help monitoring Cisco 3802 WAPs in Solarwinds via SNMP and ICMP

davinci
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed 2 new Cisco WAPs but I can't poll these WAPs vai SNMP/ICMP within Solarwinds.  WAPs are managed by WLC. The only polling method which works is status only ICMP.   All of the older Cisco AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 and AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9 can be polled via SNMP and ICMP without issues.  See screenshots below.

does anyone have this problem?  

5508 software 8.3.143.0

Problem WAPs are AIR-AP3802I-B-K93802 WAP.PNG1142 WAP.PNG

Solarwinds Orion software (Orion Platform 2017.1.3 SP3, IPAM 4.5.1, NCM 7.6, NPM 12.1, QoE 2.3, NTA 4.2.2, VIM 7.0.0, Toolset 11.0.6, NetPath 1.1.0 © 1999-2019 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All Rights Reserved)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'm looking at our Solarwinds right now and now that you mention it, not sure how the APs were entered. They were done before I started working here. From what I can see, it appears as if it is getting the AP information from our 5508. We have a mix of 3702 and 3802. I will investigate this more... now I'm intrigued. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

craigshawm6
Level 1
Level 1

I would think that all you would need to monitor within Solarwinds with the APs is the up/down connectivity status. So clicking ICMP only would do that for you. What else do you need to monitor though Solarwinds that you can't get from the WLC? Is it something specific you need to monitor that you can't get the WLC to send Solarwinds a trap for? 

I want my polling method to include SNMP/ICMP that way I can view wireless heatmap data on Solarwinds and other more detailed data.

I'm looking at our Solarwinds right now and now that you mention it, not sure how the APs were entered. They were done before I started working here. From what I can see, it appears as if it is getting the AP information from our 5508. We have a mix of 3702 and 3802. I will investigate this more... now I'm intrigued. 

AP's are added to Orion by monitoring the controller.   As was mentioned, you could add all of the AP's to Orion and use ICMP for up/down status.   I don't believe you can monitor individual AP's via SNMP.

Do either of you have your WLC's in an N+1 configuration?  We have ours setup like this.  I am having an issue that Orion is does not update the WLC and puts the AP's in an unknown state when they are moved between controllers.  If I look at my primary, all the AP's are there and have a green status icon.  On my secondary controller, those AP's are shown in an unknown state.  If I enable the "AP is down" alert, I get blasted with alerts from the secondary controller.

thanks guys...I talked to solarwinds TAC and they mentioned that I only monitor the WLC and that there is no need to add each WAP for individual monitoring within solarwinds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card