Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

If a WLC fails?

Hi,

I've been asked to find out what happens if a WLC fails?

Do clients stay connected but can't connect new clients? Does everyone get kicked off?

Does the same happen with the Virtual WLC as does with a hardware box? Should I really have two WLC's ?

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've been asked to find out what happens if a WLC fails?

Do clients stay connected but can't connect new clients?

Depends.  If you don't have FlexConnect AND you don't have any redundant WLC, then clients get booted off.

Let say you don't have a redundant WLC but you have FlexConnect.  If the WLC fails then the OLD client will stay connected.  Unless you have a local authentication server at each site, then NO NEW clients will be able to authenticate.   Another thing, when the WLC fails, the AP must NOT be reloaded.  If it does, then no clients, old and new, will be able to join the wireless network

Let's say you don't have FlexConnect.  When the primary WLC fails, the AP will join the secondary WLC.  During the "move" from Primary to Seconday, the clients will loose connection.

Thanks.

And if you are using FlexConnect and 802.1x without redundant radius, the client will eventually fail to join.... and stuff.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: