cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Importing autonomous AP list from LMS/Ciscoworks?

js88888888
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Currently all of our autonomous APs are managed in Ciscoworks/LMS 3.2. I would like to do a bulk import into WCS, including credentials, for migration. Is this possible or is this an entirely manual process?

I am running WCS 7.0.164.0

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've done this before !

And it works!  I just don't remember if I had to strip out the garbage.  I am sure the only thing that's important is the IP address and the hostname. 

Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

Thanks

Well I see the format of the CSV file needs to be:

ip_address, network_mask, snmp_version, snmpv2_community, snmpv3_user_name, snmpv3_auth_type, snmpv3_auth_password, snmpv3_privacy_type, snmpv3_privacy_password, snmp_retries, snmp_timeout, telnet_username, telnet_password, telnet_retries, telnet_timeout, enable_password

For WCS that is...

Ciscoworks Device Report only exports ip address and host name plus other uselss-to-WCS info. I will have to manually add all other fields in correct order...

You need the following:

The CSV file has the same format as Adding Controllers but includes additional (optional) columns such as telnet_username, telnet_password, and enable_password

http://www.ciscosystems.net.pk/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/5.1/configuration/guide/wcsAPcfg.html#wp1054629

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html

From WCS online help:

Adding Autonomous Access Points by CSV File

Autonomous access points can be added to WCS using a CSV file exported from WLSE.

To add autonomous access points using a CSV file, follow these steps:

1. Choose Configure > Access Points.
  2. From the Select a command drop-down list, choose Add Autonomous APs.
  3. Click Go.
  4. Select File from the Add Format Type drop-down list.
  5. Enter or browse to the applicable CSV file.
  6. Note        The CSV file has the same format as Adding Controllers but includes additional (optional for default and Mandotory if user defined) columns such as telnet_username, telnet_password, and enable_password.

# SNMP V2 Format:

ip_address, network_mask, snmp_version, snmpv2_community, snmpv3_user_name, snmpv3_auth_type, snmpv3_auth_password, snmpv3_privacy_type, snmpv3_privacy_password, snmp_retries, snmp_timeout, telnet_username, telnet_password, telnet_retries, telnet_timeout, enable_password

1.1.1.1,255.255.255.0,v2,public,,,,,,3,4
    2.2.2.2,255.255.255.0,v2,public,,,,,,3,4,Cisco,Cisco,Cisco,2,10

# SNMP V3 Format:

ip_address, network_mask, snmp_version, snmpv3_user_name, snmpv3_auth_type, snmpv3_auth_password, snmpv3_privacy_type, snmpv3_privacy_password, snmp_retries, snmp_timeout, telnet_username, telnet_password, telnet_retries, telnet_timeout, enable_password

10.77.159.185,255.255.255.128,v3,default,HMAC-MD5,default,None,,3,4
    10.77.159.203,255.255.255.128,v3,default1,HMAC-MD5,default1,DES,default1,3,4,Cisco,Cisco, Cisco,2,10

7. Click OK.

Thanks, I have created a CSV file after adding the columns manually. I will test this tomorrow.

So first attempt I get this:

Unknown field snmpv2_community on header line:

I have no idea why it doesn't like just that one field, anyone? Nothing was imported.

Also....the CSV format has a Network_Mask column yet when adding APs via file, there is also a network mask field in the WCS GUI. Does one override the other? Would be way easier to use the value in the CSV file as we have variable subnets across all APs.

Okey dokes. here's what I did.

First, there is bad info in the documentation

I was not able to get it to use "snmpv2_community", changed it to "snmp_community" and it stopped complaining about that.

Second, despite there being a blanket mask field in the WCS Add Autonomous AP GUI, WCS only cares about what's in the CSV file. I tried leaving the file field empty for all devices and using the GUI Mask field and it didn't like it, added the mask to the CSV lines and it was fine. No idea why that is in there if its ostensibly useless on a file import.

Is there something that says what exactly the mandatory and optional CSV fields are? I only read that IP address was mandatory. Also removed unused SNMP fields w/o a problem.

I've uploaded CSV file that contains only the IP address and the hostname and I didn't have any issues.  I believe you also need to get your SNMP details correct.

One trick that we did was export what WCS sees, compare the data from the CW export and make corrections.

Good tip and interesting. I did not include a hostname, WCS did auto-populate the hostname after discovery.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card