cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

In PRIME Infrastructure Smart Licensing, what are the weights of tokens, for device types: Unified Access Point, WLC's (...) ?

wdawes
Level 1
Level 1

We are upgrading to PRIME 3.1 (from 3.0.3), and have to start using Smart Licensing ...

What are the weights of tokens, for device types: unified access points, WiSM2 WLCs, WLC 2504, WLC 5500, WLC 8540 ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ccube
Level 1
Level 1

Starting with 3.1.3, the licensing, both traditional and smart licensing convert to a token based scheme. Most devices like the ones you listed would be still a single token per device. Modular devices like the 45K, 65K, data center devices, or stacked switch configurations may consume more tokens based on their configurations. 

From the 3.1.3 Release Notes: 

Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3 supports token-based licensing model for Lifecycle and Assurance licenses. The license consumption is based on token weight per device type. For example, if you add a ASR 1001 device having token weight 3, the Lifecycle license/tokens consumed for managing the device is 3.

Due to this token-based licensing, a Prime Infrastructure instance consumes more tokens than what were consumed before. To avoid this overhead to the existing customers, Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3 supports generation of a one-time grandfathered license file for managing the existing devices without the need to buy additional licenses. This special privilege is provided to the existing customers as a one-time activity upon installation of Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3 update.

• The grandfathered license file is a permanent license file and can be added/downloaded like other license files.
  • The grandfathered license file is encrypted and is not node locked.
  • The grandfathered Assurance tokens are valid only when 2.x Assurance permanent licenses are available.
  • A maximum of five grandfathered files can be added.

To Avail the Grandfathered License Support

• Ensure whether Traditional licensing is enabled.

Go to Administration > Licenses and Software Updates > Smart Software Licensing.

Choose Traditional Licensing.

Check whether the Register button is disabled to confirm the selection of Traditional Licensing.

• Ensure 2.x permanent licenses are added.

Limitations

• Only 20,000 grandfathered tokens can be generated per Prime Infrastructure instance.
  • Assurance tokens will be generated only when 2.x Assurance permanent licenses are added on a Prime Infrastructure instance before applying Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3.
  • The number of grandfathered Assurance tokens generated is same as the number of grandfathered Lifecycle tokens.

After installing Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3, you can check the token consumption per device type in the T raditional Licensing Dashlet under Administration > Dashboard > Licensing Dashboard.

Hope that Helps, 

Cary

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

wdawes
Level 1
Level 1

A CiscoTAC engineer stated that Smart Licensing starts with PRIME 3.1.3, so we are considering only upgrading to 3.1.1.

Upgraded from 3.0.0.78 to PI 3.1.0, then immediately to 3.1.5. All of our version 1.x/2.x licensed were grandfathered (one-time) into PI 3.1.5. We are now doing Traditional licensing, within the Smart Licensing framework.

ccube
Level 1
Level 1

Starting with 3.1.3, the licensing, both traditional and smart licensing convert to a token based scheme. Most devices like the ones you listed would be still a single token per device. Modular devices like the 45K, 65K, data center devices, or stacked switch configurations may consume more tokens based on their configurations. 

From the 3.1.3 Release Notes: 

Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3 supports token-based licensing model for Lifecycle and Assurance licenses. The license consumption is based on token weight per device type. For example, if you add a ASR 1001 device having token weight 3, the Lifecycle license/tokens consumed for managing the device is 3.

Due to this token-based licensing, a Prime Infrastructure instance consumes more tokens than what were consumed before. To avoid this overhead to the existing customers, Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3 supports generation of a one-time grandfathered license file for managing the existing devices without the need to buy additional licenses. This special privilege is provided to the existing customers as a one-time activity upon installation of Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3 update.

• The grandfathered license file is a permanent license file and can be added/downloaded like other license files.
  • The grandfathered license file is encrypted and is not node locked.
  • The grandfathered Assurance tokens are valid only when 2.x Assurance permanent licenses are available.
  • A maximum of five grandfathered files can be added.

To Avail the Grandfathered License Support

• Ensure whether Traditional licensing is enabled.

Go to Administration > Licenses and Software Updates > Smart Software Licensing.

Choose Traditional Licensing.

Check whether the Register button is disabled to confirm the selection of Traditional Licensing.

• Ensure 2.x permanent licenses are added.

Limitations

• Only 20,000 grandfathered tokens can be generated per Prime Infrastructure instance.
  • Assurance tokens will be generated only when 2.x Assurance permanent licenses are added on a Prime Infrastructure instance before applying Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3.
  • The number of grandfathered Assurance tokens generated is same as the number of grandfathered Lifecycle tokens.

After installing Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3, you can check the token consumption per device type in the T raditional Licensing Dashlet under Administration > Dashboard > Licensing Dashboard.

Hope that Helps, 

Cary

Hi,

I have the same question as about "weight" of devices. I'd like to see some form of matrix saying for example a 2960 switch requires 1 token but a 3850 switch requires 2 tokens. Now I just picked those devices and numbers out of a "hat". But just saying an ASR1001 weighs 3 tookens doesn't provide all that information, what's the deal for all devices? I need a list so I can make accurate qoutes for customers. I might be bad at googling or something but I can't find any such list/matrix. The fact that they're "grandfathered in" isn't of importance to me right now.

Br

//Peter

Hi Peter,

If you check out slide 93 on the attached link this will show you the matrix conversion from traditional to token based licensing.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/presentation-c97-735996.pdf

I have also attached the snippet to the post.

Alternatively if you are using the Cisco estimate tool (https://apps.cisco.com/Commerce/guest) for quotes you will see that the lower level part numbers for each device will indicate how many tokens it will utilise by the list price. 1 Token is effectively $105 USD, therefore if you were to purchase a 3.X license for an ASR it would show a list price of $315 USD, which is 3 tokens. The high level SKU is R-MGMT3X-N-K9

Hope this helps

Nick

I don't see the number of tokens for ASA in the document, does any one know how much token does ASA uses

Regards

Nikhil

That's because the old ASA central managing system is named Cisco Security Manager (CSM). If you used the CX module I think there was a Prime Security something. For the "new" firepower solution it's name Firepower Management Center (FMC). As far as I know there's only a device license there so it doesn't matter if you buy a 5506X or a 4150. Something tells me someone in a sales division want to change that as well... so let us not get them anymore ideas in this forum :).

Thanks Peter :) 

I've confirmed that when upgrading to 3.1.3+, it automatically converts all traditional licensing to the grandfathered licensing model.  However, is there a way to convert traditional or grandfathered licenses to a smart account?  I'd like to get my customers away from the traditional licensing methods of registering PAK's every time they purchase new devices, especially with Cisco ONE providing PI licenses with each router/switch/AP/etc.  I've tried to convert my existing traditional licences to "smart entitlements", but they do not show up under the smart account.  I have a TAC case open, but they are telling me that traditional 1.x or 2.x licenses are not allowed to be converted to smart licenses.

-Brian

Hi Brian,

You are right, this is what I have currently heard as of this date.

Currently Smart Licensing is available only to green field purchases - i.e., customers who purchased 3.x Smart Licenses.
Customers can use their smart accounts to see their purchases (both smart and traditional licenses). Conversion from traditional to smart is not yet supported but Cisco are looking to introduce this in the near future.

Thanks,

Nick

All Cisco licensing BLOWS!!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card