Views
Helpful
Replies

iOS not connecting to certains APs

Ruados
Level 1
Level 1

Good evening!

I'm having this odd problem at my company. We have about 4 AP connected to the same network here.local and our employees connect to those for their various tasks. But for some reason most of our employee's iPhones can only first connect to AP1. They can't authenticate on let's say, AP3 or AP4. So in order for them to use the network they have to walk over to AP1, authenticate and then coming back to AP3/4 zone.

I've already compared the settings that are on the APController for AP1 to AP3/4 and they are the same.

Looking through the logs there is this entry, referring to one of our employees iPhone:

*Dot1x_NW_MsgTask_1: Mar 05 15:51:31.951: %DOT1X-3-PSK_CONFIG_ERR: 1x_ptsm.c:729 Client f4:31:c3:xx:xx:xx may be using an incorrect PSK

I've looked through the forum but without success. I hope some of you can help me unveil this one.

All AP1 and AP3/4 are AIR-AP183 running primary version 8.5.120.0. They differ in backup version but I don't think that's relevant.

2 Replies 2

Peter010101
Level 1
Level 1

I run 97% Apple devices, mac books, iPhone's and iPad's off of 3802i access points and 5520 WLC's. I haven't ran into that scenario. 

I found this document useful when optimizing my environment for Apple devices.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-6/Enterprise_Best_Practices_for_iOS_devices_and_Mac_computers_on_Cisco_Wireless_LAN.pdf

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Are you using a WLC or are they running standalone? If standalone, can the AP3/4 reach the radius server (if using username/password), or are the exactly same security settings configured on the SSID?
There were also some upgrades for the software out, which fixed a lot of various issues. Current recommended is 8.5.140.0.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card