Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue delete and add device to Prime 2.2

a.sharafi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have deleted a device (Cat 3650) from our Prime 2.2.
Now we try to add the device again but we get the message "device already exist"!
What is wrong here?

Regards,
Amir

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There are two things you can do:

1) Open a TAC case. They can get one of the Devs online to look into why the database is holding onto a device that you have removed. They should also be able to get in and manually remove that device.

2) Export the Maps and AP placements, and reinstall PI. Once you have that done, add your devices again and then import the maps. This will retain the AP placements.

IMHO, option 1 is the better way to go.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Amir,

1. First go there and choose "Switched to converged Theme"

2. Inventory > Device Management > Network Devices

select the device you want to remove and click on Delete Button.

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

Hi Sandeep,

Our PI 2.2 is running anyway under Conveged Theme.

Classic Theme is deprecated under PI 2.2.

When we go to Inventory > Device Management > Network Devices

-->Here we do not find or see the device but the PI believes that the device exists!

We cannot remove it cause it is not listed anywhere on Prime!

We can not add it again cause PI says: "device already exist"!

We deployed the Prime 2.2 "fresh and new" just two weeks ago!

I had a similar issue with deleting and re-adding devices, which was resolved by installing device pack 5

https://software.cisco.com/portal/pub/download/portal/select.html?&mdfid=286236028&softwareid=286208063

Might be worth a try..

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

We already installed device pack 5 and even 6 but nothing changed!

Amir

Hi Mohanak,

Our customers did not spend lot of money for a "Management Tool" which should be re-installed every two weeks!!!

Sorry but for such a little issue I can not tell my customer: "We must install the whole thing again"!

They spent about 2 weeks to get the whole devices and maps/AP's into PI.

Regards:)

There are two things you can do:

1) Open a TAC case. They can get one of the Devs online to look into why the database is holding onto a device that you have removed. They should also be able to get in and manually remove that device.

2) Export the Maps and AP placements, and reinstall PI. Once you have that done, add your devices again and then import the maps. This will retain the AP placements.

IMHO, option 1 is the better way to go.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks Steve:)

I'll try the option one and hope TAC can fix it!

I know the option 2 but is not an option for my customer cause they have to pay additional support hours what they do not want to do after only two weeks of the new installation!

Regards,

Amir

Hi,

I found the directory where PI saves the device information. (See screenshot below)

But I am not sure if there are some workarounds to edit some of these files to remove a "device already exists" issue!

Regards,

Amir

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card