Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues when 802.11r mixed mode enabled

Rhoda Lou Estay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have enabled mixed mode 802.11r this weekend, and now many users are complaining that they cant connect to both our SSIDs.

Corporate SSID with 802.1x, CCKM and FT 802.1x enabled (FT and Over the DS .

Guest SSID with PSK and FT PSK enabled (FT and Over the DS).

We have received complaints from hp laptops, samsung mobiles, sony xperia and also mac books. 

We are still checking if the devices mentioned have updated software/driver.

Thank You,

Rhoda Lou

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here's the thing about wireless ... if clients don't support 802.11r then they will see issues.  It's not, all the time, a Cisco issue if the clients don't support 802.11r and the WLAN has enabled 802.11r.

Further to Leo's comments, legacy wireless clients can't parse the additional AKM suites (e.g. 802.11r) in the IE.

See Scott's response here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12030926/wireless-80211r-and-k-wlc

Dennis

dB Performance Inc.

Unless all your client support mixed mode 802.11r, you will have issues once enable this feature. Refer below thread as it list some of the supported/unsupported devices.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12314591/8021r-and-fast-roaming

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika,

Thank you so much for the response. As of now 802.11r mixed mode is still enabled on both our WLANs because we have seen great improvement. We'll monitor it first.

Many Thanks,

Rhoda Lou

Just remember that you have it enable just in case later on someone does complain. I have had customer check that after an install and had issues with devices that didn't support it. To be honest, most of all my deployments didn't need to have that enabled for wifi to work great. Typically if end user complain, it's something else and could possibly be where the APs are located, density of APs, misconfiguration, end devices or a bug.   

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your input. What settings would you suggest to improve roaming and the time it takes for users to connect to our wifi?

Thank you,

Rhoda Lou

Hi Rasika,

I have additional inquiry. The reason we enabled 802.11r in the first place is because users were complaining that authenticating to our WLANs is taking too long and when they roam to another location, connection to wifi is not automatic, they have to go to settings and manually select the SSID. 

We have already verified the configuration of our Authentication servers and we couldn't find any issues.  :(

Thank You,

Rhoda Lou

To me, it's something else wrong. You shouldn't have to enable 802.11r to fix issues with authentication or issues because end users are seeing issues with connecting to the SSID. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card