Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Low signal and disconnect issue with 851W

Hi guys, i recently installed a 851W to improve my wireless signal, but the thing is im next to my cisco device and the signal is allways at half... and i have my old gateway with integrated wifi that is giving me a stronger signal and its a lot of meters away... im using 802.1g and here is my related config... what can i do to improve? 

I also find out after a while im connected to the wifi it gets disconnected and connects again... i got this log message from my router every time

Not encrypted dot1x packet from 1c56.fee6.ded5 has been discarded

*Mar 1 00:55:29.395: %DOT11-6-DISASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station 1c56.fee6.ded5 Reason: Previous authentication no longer valid SSID[851W]

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

!

encryption vlan 1 mode ciphers tkip

!

broadcast-key vlan 1 change 45

!

!

ssid 851W

!

speed basic-54.0

station-role root access-point

infrastructure-client

no cdp enable

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding

!

interface Dot11Radio0.1

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

no cdp enable

bridge-group 1

11 Replies 11

"Hi guys, i recently installed a 851W to improve my wireless signal, but the thing is im next to my cisco device and the signal is always at half... and i have my old gateway with integrated wifi that is giving me a stronger signal and its a lot of meters away"

What is really important is your client capability. Getting a strong signal does not mean it is always good, that's why we do not power AP to its max power level. Even if you get a good signal from meters away , does your client has capability to transmit that far ?

AP-CLIENT-Power.JPG

What client do you have ? Do you know what power level Cisco AP operates ?

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Its currently operating at 54 (802.11g) and the clients are basically everything! my motoral cellphone, my computer with a wireless adapater and everything else

encryption vlan 1 mode ciphers tkip

I noticed configuration got TKIP enabled, which means you can't get any 802.11n/802.11ac data rates. I would suggest you to enable AES encryption on this SSID which will allow you higher speeds (> 54Mbps)

HTH

Rasika

I changed to encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm and i still get low signal ... this is my current config

interface Dot11Radio0
no ip address
beacon period 20
!
!
encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm
!
broadcast-key vlan 1 change 45
!
!
ssid CISCO
!
speed basic-1.0 2.0 5.5 6.0 9.0 11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0
power local cck 15
power local ofdm 15
power client 18
packet retries 128
channel 2437
station-role root access-point
no cdp enable
bridge-group 1

--------------

dot11 ssid CISCO
vlan 1
authentication open
guest-mode
wpa-psk ascii 0 internet
!
interface Dot11Radio0.1
encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
no cdp enable
bridge-group 1
!

Does it only got Radio 0 band (2.4GHz) ? If you looking for higher throughput you should consider having 5GHz capable AP.

Anyway, post "show dot11 associations <client_mac_address>" output from your AP. 

HTH

Rasika

Why is that show command relevant?? I only have my cellphone connected to it, i dont know why it could be relevant... but here is anyway.. and yes, it only supports 2.4 i only have radio 0.. Thank you !!

802.11 Client Stations on Dot11Radio0:

SSID [CISCO] :

MAC Address IP address Device Name Parent State
1c56.fee6.ded5 10.1.1.100 unknown - self Assoc

You have both antennas correctly attached?

Can you try the commands (not sure if they are correct):

power local cck max
power local OFDM max

Yeah i already try those commands but its the same... and it has only one antenna... not two.. 

You're right, I found now pictures of this model with just one antenna port.
How are the transfer speeds, if you test with a wired and a wireless client using the utility iperf?
Maybe it's just a visual error and not affecting the speed.

If im next to the router i have good speed but i literally have to be next to it, and the signal is not always full... i do 10 steps and the signal goes away... its really weak, i guess its a config issue because i do a erase startupconfig after i bought it and now i have this issues... i really dont know what could be, it was working well after that

Try setting the following commands to max:
power local cck max
power local ofdm max

This is basically all you can do.
You can also try to remove the command
no power client 18
And set the beacon period to default (in case you changed it yourself to 20).

Anyway, this is such an old model, only supporting 802.11g, that I recommend that you get some newer accesspoint (you can keep using it as a slow router) with 802.11n or better 802.11ac. They also have much better reach.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card